Interpretation of Light Beam Intensity in QM

In summary, the confusion about the characteristic intensity of a photon beam being given by I = E/\omega arises from not considering the uncertainty principle for large photon numbers. The intensity uncertainty, ΔI, is only applicable for beams with a high difference between phase angle uncertainty and intensity uncertainty, such as in the study of squeezed coherent states of light. This is because the uncertainty principle for intensity, ΔIΔη≥\hbar/2, takes into account the uncertainty in the number of photons emitted in the beam. Therefore, the intensity of a photon beam is not always equal to \hbar, as it can vary depending on the number of photons present.
Jilvin
I am starting to become confused when reading about quantum mechanics and its treatment of photons. I heard somewhere (I can't recall where) that the characteristic intensity of a photon beam was give by I = E/[itex]\omega[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency of the beam. However, I can't seem to reconcile this with the fact that, since the energy of a photon is given in quantum mechanics as E = [itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex], that the intensity I would simply reduce to [itex]\hbar[/itex] in every single case.

This doesn't seem correct at all, as the entire study of squeezed coherent states of light is apparently based upon studies of light beams with high differences between phase angle uncertainty and intensity uncertainty...

What am I interpreting incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I think I've got it now. The intensity uncertainty is only valid for *large* photon numbers. Here's what I mean. In the study of squeezed light, the uncertainty ΔIΔη≥[itex]\hbar[/itex]/2 is important (where I is the intensity and η is the phase). I couldn't comprehend just what ΔI (indeterminacy in intensity) meant because if characteristic intensity is given by I=E/ω; and for any *single* photon the energy E is given by [itex]\hbar[/itex]ω, then it would appear that ΔI = 0 because it would always equal [itex]\hbar[/itex]. However, I didn't consider that the above uncertainty principle was for large photon numbers, so that the intensity given by N[itex]\hbar[/itex] for N photons would be uncertain in the *number of photons* emitted in the beam.

Thus, the only possibility for ΔI making any sense as a quantity was if the photon quantity varied between measurement. I did some checking, and this is indeed the case. You can close this post now.

What is the interpretation of light beam intensity in quantum mechanics?

The interpretation of light beam intensity in quantum mechanics refers to the understanding of the behavior and properties of light particles, known as photons, in the context of quantum theory. It involves explaining how the intensity of a light beam is related to the behavior of individual photons and how this phenomenon fits into the larger framework of quantum mechanics.

How is light beam intensity measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, light beam intensity is measured by counting the number of photons in a given area over a specific period of time. This is typically done using a device called a photodetector, which can detect individual photons and convert their energy into an electrical signal that can be measured.

What is the relationship between light beam intensity and photon energy in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the intensity of a light beam is directly related to the energy of individual photons. This means that as the intensity of a light beam increases, the energy of each photon also increases. Conversely, a decrease in light beam intensity results in a decrease in photon energy.

How does the interpretation of light beam intensity in quantum mechanics differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, light is treated as a continuous wave with a well-defined intensity. However, in quantum mechanics, light is described as a stream of discrete particles with a probabilistic nature. This means that the interpretation of light beam intensity in quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic behavior of individual photons, whereas classical physics does not.

What are some applications of understanding light beam intensity in quantum mechanics?

Understanding the behavior of light beam intensity in quantum mechanics is crucial in various fields, including quantum computing, telecommunications, and quantum cryptography. It also has applications in studying the properties of materials and in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI and PET scans.