Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interstellar Medium and Pulsars

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Originally posted in College Level Homework help but I got no responses there. Please help if you can.

I am studying for my qualifier and doing problems out of Jackson.
    I am stuck on this one... any help would really be appreciated... I am unsure how to begin:
    Jackson 7.15
    The partially ionized interstellar medium (mostly hydrogen) responds to optical frequencies as an electronic plasma in a weak magnetic field. The broad-spectrum pulses from a pulsar allow determination of some average properties of the interstellar medium. The treatment of an electronic plasma in a magnetic field of Section 7.6 is pertinent.
    a) Ignoring the weak magnetic field and assuming that [itex] max(w_p) \ll w [/itex], show that c times the transit time of a pulse of mean frequency w from a pulsar a distance R away is
    [tex] ct(w) \approx R+\frac{e^2}{2 \epsilon_0 m_e w^2} \int n_e (z) dz [/tex]
    where [itex] n_e (z) [/itex] is the electron density along the path of light.

so this is what I have so far:
    ignoring the weak B-field the position has a solution of:
    [tex] x=\frac{e}{m_e w^2}E [/tex]
    and obviously ct(w) is a distance, but now I am lost...
    Please help, I have been stumbling with this problem for a couple of days and it is turning into a monster that I need to solve.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    (ps. I have read the pertinent section of Jackson over and over... I don't see any help in it.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had a go at trying to be of help, but it's been too long since I did this stuff. Try posting (again) in the Stellar Astrophysics forum

4. Apr 12, 2004 #3
    I think I actually solved it...

if [tex] t=\int^r_0 \frac{1}{v_g} dz [/tex]

and I write
    [tex] v_gv_p=c^2 [/tex]

Assumming that the the electron density is slowly varying over a wavelength of radiation, so that it is reasonable to think about a slowly varying index of refraction n(w,z) is can write:

[tex] v_p=\frac{c}{n(w,z)} [/tex]

which implies that [tex] v_g=n(w,z) c [/tex]

for an electronic plasma: [tex] n(w,z)=\sqrt{1 - \frac {w_p^2}{w^2} } [/tex]

where [tex] w_p^2 =\frac{ n_e (z) e^2}{\epsilon_0 m_e} [/tex]
    where [itex] n_e (z) [/itex] is the electron density

so therefore [tex] n(w,z)=\sqrt{1-\frac{n_e (z ) e^2}{\epsilon_0 m_e w^2}} [/tex]

and then [tex] v_g=c\sqrt{1-\frac{n_e (z ) e^2}{\epsilon_0 m_e w^2}} [/tex]

which implies that:
    [tex] t=\frac{1}{c} \int_0^R (1-\frac{n_e (z ) e^2}{\epsilon_0 m_e w^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}} dz [/tex]

since [tex] w_p \ll w [/tex]:

[tex] ct(w) \approx \int_0^R (1+\frac{n_e (z) e^2}{2 \epsilon_0 m_e w^2}) dz [/tex]

finally:

[tex] ct(w) \approx R+\frac{e^2}{2 \epsilon_0 m_e w^2} \int^R_0 n_e(z ) dz [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  5. Apr 12, 2004 #4
    Chi,

Thanks a lot for atleast trying... does the above look correct?
    Thanks a lot,
    Norm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?