Why Is Some Energy Wasted in a Boiler System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wasted energy in a hot water system, where water is heated by burning gas in a boiler and then stored in a tank. For every 111J of energy released from the gas, only 100J is absorbed by the water in the boiler, making the remaining 11J wasted. This energy is of little use for further energy transfers because it disappears from the equation and cannot be converted into another form of energy. The conversation also touches on the property of heat engine and the difficulty of the question, suggesting it may be a homework exercise. It is mentioned that the person asking the question has only had one lesson of physics and is currently at a Year 10 difficulty level.
MuhammadIslam
Information
In a hot water system water is heated by burning gas in a boiler.
The hot water is then stored in a tank.
For every 111J of energy released from the gas, 100 J of energy is absorbed by the water in the boiler.

Question B
The energy released from the gas but not absorbed by the boiler is 'wasted'.
Explain why this energy is of little use for further energy transfers.

Please answer the question appropriate.

Best Regards,

Muhammad

Physics news on Phys.org
MuhammadIslam said:
Please answer the question appropriate.
Hi Muhammad. Welcome to PF, and thank you for posting an interesting question. :cool:

As it is your question, you must show that you have thought about it before anyone can offer assistance. So what do you think might be a reason?

Hello NascentOxygen,

I have thought about it and have an answer as well.
But I've posted this question to ask more experienced students about this.
As you can see this is the very beginning.

I believe that the energy is wasted because you can't use it anymore as it disappears from the equation.

Please answer this question appropriate.

Best Regards,
Muhammad

Last edited:
How does it disappear from the equation?

By not being able to use the previous energy it can not change into another form of energy.

Last edited:
Bump, Can Someone confirm my previous message as correct.
And make corrections where needed and shed some extra light on this matter.

If you have a car, just touch the exhaust or the engine.
Why wasted energy to heat those areas.
Because its the property of heat engine.

It is a fairly difficult though very fundamental question, MuhammadIslam. Is this a homework exercise? I think it might be too difficult for you. What year are you at school?

It might be one of those questions where you are expected to give the answer that your teacher at some stage recently told you. Have you studied in class this example of the water heater?

Hmm I need to further investigate your answer as it sounds hard Aziz,

Nascent I have had only one lesson of physics in my hole life, thursday I will get my next one. It is on Year 10 difficulty. (GCSE)

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms, such as kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), and electrical energy.

2. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, such as a stretched rubber band or a ball at the top of a hill. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, such as a rolling ball or a moving car.

3. How is energy related to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, its energy changes. For example, if you push a book across a table, you are doing work on the book and transferring energy to it, causing it to move.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed. This is known as the law of conservation of energy. Energy can only be transferred from one form to another, but the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). In physics, the most common unit of energy is the joule, which is equivalent to one newton-meter (N*m). In other areas, such as nutrition, energy may be measured in calories, where 1 calorie is equal to 4.18 joules.