Intuitive Explanation of an Atwood Machine

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Atwood Machine in physics, specifically addressing the need to consider both masses in determining acceleration and the confusion surrounding the correct approach to solving the problem. The concept of opposing forces and the formal method of using free body diagrams and Newton's Laws is mentioned as a way to understand and solve the problem.
BlackHayze
So I'm working through a physics a textbook on my own, and because of that don't always have a professor who can help explain concepts I don't understand, so I'm turning to you good folks.

Could someone explain why both masses need to be taken into account when determining the acceleration of one side of an Atwood Machine? And maybe the way I started doing it led me to have a harder time, but I basically found the tension by subtracting the smaller weight from the heavier, then dividing by the total weight got me the correct answer.

I'm fairly certain this way of going about it is wrong, but most of what I see online about the correct way isn't making intuitive sense to me. Could anyone try to explain to me how it works and why the math works out the way it does? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The core concept is that the weights are pulling in opposite directions.
The formal approach is to isolate the masses, draw free body diagrams, and apply Newton's Laws to each separately.

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses, connected by a string or rope, that runs over a pulley. It is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the concept of equilibrium.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

The Atwood Machine works by balancing the forces acting on the two masses. The force of gravity pulls each mass downward, while the tension in the string pulls each mass upward. As long as the masses are not moving, the forces are balanced and the system is in equilibrium.

3. What is the purpose of using an Atwood Machine in a physics experiment?

An Atwood Machine is often used in physics experiments to study the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration. By changing the masses and measuring the resulting acceleration, we can verify the principles of Newton's second law of motion.

4. How does the acceleration of an Atwood Machine change if the masses are unequal?

The acceleration of an Atwood Machine depends on the difference between the two masses. If the masses are unequal, the heavier mass will accelerate downwards and the lighter mass will accelerate upwards. The acceleration will be greater if the difference between the masses is larger.

5. Can an Atwood Machine be used to demonstrate other physics concepts?

Yes, an Atwood Machine can also be used to demonstrate the concept of conservation of energy. By measuring the potential and kinetic energy of the masses at different points in the system, we can show that the total energy remains constant, even as the masses are in motion.