Inverse functions and functions

In summary, it is possible to find all functions that are their own inverse by looking for functions that are symmetrical about the line y=x. This can be proven by showing that for every (a,b) in the function, (b,a) also exists in the function. However, it may not be possible to find a complete set of all self-inverse functions.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question, just a curiousity, but here goes.

Is it possible to find every function that is its own inverse? That is, can we find all functions that fit the definition

[tex]f(x) = f^{-1}(x) \forall x[/tex]

?

I can name two... f(x) = x and f(x) = x-1. Are there others? If not, can that fact be proven?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inverse functions can be thought of as a reflection about the line y=x, so start drawing

hunt_mat said:
Inverse functions can be thought of as a reflection about the line y=x, so start drawing

So, in other words, in order for a function to be its own inverse, it must be symmetrical about the line y=x. How can we prove this symmetry of a function?

Char. Limit said:
So, in other words, in order for a function to be its own inverse, it must be symmetrical about the line y=x. How can we prove this symmetry of a function?

It happens when y = f(x) and x = f(y). :tongue2:

LCKurtz said:
It happens when y = f(x) and x = f(y). :tongue2:

Considering that that just leads to a circular definition, I guess I can conclude that there is no known way to find all functions that fit this formula, or to prove that the set of the functions you have that fit the formula is complete?

Char. Limit said:
Considering that that just leads to a circular definition, I guess I can conclude that there is no known way to find all functions that fit this formula, or to prove that the set of the functions you have that fit the formula is complete?

Complete in what metric? Note that that set of functions isn't even closed under addition:

f(x) = x and g(x) = 1-x are both self-inverse but their sum is 1 which isn't even invertible.

LCKurtz said:
Complete in what metric? Note that that set of functions isn't even closed under addition:

f(x) = x and g(x) = 1-x are both self-inverse but their sum is 1 which isn't even invertible.

Oh I don't mean closed... I simply meant that given a set of functions that are self-inverse, it is likely not possible to prove that the set of functions contains EVERY function that is self-inverse.

Now I have four functions...

f(x)=a-x for constant a
f(x)=x
f(x)=1/x^n for n=2m-1 for positive integer m

And that's it really.

Char. Limit said:
Considering that that just leads to a circular definition
:confused: This doesn't make any sense.

I guess I can conclude that there is no known way to find all functions that fit this formula,
Depends what you mean by "find". I thought the solution given was satisfactory. *shrug*

Char. Limit said:
I simply meant that given a set of functions that are self-inverse, it is likely not possible to prove that the set of functions contains EVERY function that is self-inverse.
:confused: I suppose certain presentations of a set may not have an obvious proof, or may even be undecidable. However, in this very thread, we have not only presented a putative complete set, but have even sketched the proof that it is complete.

There is also the trivial presentation of a set that contains all self-inverse functions: let S be the set of all functions that are self-inverse. The proof that this is complete is also trivial. :wink:

Er, composing that with itself gives you
f(f(x)) = xn2

Last edited:
Char. Limit said:

f(x)=a-x for constant a
f(x)=x

And that's it really.
This also works:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} -2x+3 & \textrm{if } x<1 \\ (3-x)/2 & \textrm{if } x \ge 1 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Char. Limit said:
Oh I don't mean closed... I simply meant that given a set of functions that are self-inverse, it is likely not possible to prove that the set of functions contains EVERY function that is self-inverse.

Ahhh, you didn't mean complete in the technical sense..

f(x)=a-x for constant a
f(x)=x

And that's it really.

Perhaps you didn't grok hunt_mat's original reply to you in post #2. Start drawing. There are lots of them.

Char. Limit said:

One additional thought for you. Think about a function defined as a set of ordered pairs. Then you could use this definition for a criterion:

A function f is its own inverse if and only if for every (a,b) ε f, (b,a) ε f.

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps an input x to an output y, the inverse function g(y) will map the output y back to the input x. This means that the composition of f and g will result in the identity function, where the input and output are the same value.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, first express the function in terms of x and y. Then, switch the positions of x and y and solve for y. This new function will be the inverse of the original function. It is important to note that not all functions have an inverse, and those that do may have restrictions on their domains or ranges.

3. What is the relationship between a function and its inverse?

A function and its inverse are symmetric about the line y=x. This means that if you graph both functions on the same coordinate plane, they will be reflections of each other across this line. Additionally, the composition of the function and its inverse will always result in the identity function, as mentioned before.

4. Can a function have more than one inverse?

No, a function can only have one inverse. This is because the definition of an inverse function requires it to map each output to a unique input. If a function had more than one inverse, it would not be a function.

5. How are inverse functions used in real life?

Inverse functions have many practical applications, such as in finance, physics, and computer science. For example, inverse functions are used in calculating compound interest, finding the position of an object at a given time, and encrypting and decrypting data. They also play a crucial role in solving equations and understanding the behavior of mathematical models.