1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform, can't use partial fractions

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Hi, this is my first post, and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a 2nd order diff. equation:
    3y''(t) + 2y'(t) + 5y(t) = 3
    with initial values: y'(0) = 1, y(0) = 0

2. Relevant equations
    After using Laplace transform I get:

Y(s) = (3 + 3s) / (s*[3s2 +2s +5])

I believe it is correct, but even if it's not, what I'm interested in is how to solve this particular inverse laplace transform where I can't use partial fractions due to 3s2 +2s +5 not having any roots.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm kind of stuck here, but maybe I could split the fraction like:

Y(s) = 3 / (s*[3s2 +2s +5]) + 3 / ([3s2 +2s +5])

but the problem would remain.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You could split it as

A/s + (Bs + C)/(3s2 + 2s + 5)

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    I would us an online solver such as WolframAlpha type in:

DSolve[{3y''[t]+2y'[t]+5y[t]==3,y'[0]==1,y[0]==0},y[t],t] and enter

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4
    Re-reading my post I think I didn't explain my problem correctly. My problem is in calculating the inverse transform of such rational function.
    I could split it like that, but then I would have no idea on how to solve:
    L-1[ (Bs + C)/(3s2 + 2s + 5) ]

Since I'm studying for a final exam, I really can't use a solver, but thanks.

6. Jun 15, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the clarification. Looking at the WolframAlpha solution can still be helpful. Their solution looks very similar to a homogeneous second order diff. eqn with complex roots. Might be a place to start.

7. Jun 15, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course you can use partial fractions. The function 3s^2 + 2s + 5 has the form 3*(s-r1)*(s-r2), where r1 and r2 are the two roots of the quadratic; they are complex: r1 = -(1/3) + (1/3)*sqrt(14)*I and r2 = -(1/3) - (1/3)*sqrt(14)*I, where I = sqrt(-1). Then 1/[(s-r1)(s-r2)] = [1/(s-r1) - 1/(s-r2)]/(r1 - r2). The inverse Laplace transform of 1/(3s^2+2s+5) is [(1/3)/(r1-r2)]*[exp(r1*t) - exp(r2*t)] = (1/3)*exp(-t/3)*[(2i)sin(w*t)]/(2i*sqrt(14)/3) = (3/14)*exp(-t/3)*sin(wt), where w = sqrt(14)/3.

R.G. Vickson

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook