Finding the Inverse of a 2x2 Matrix using Gauss-Jordan Method

In summary, the inverse of a matrix is a matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. The inverse can be found using various methods depending on the size and structure of the matrix. Not every matrix can be inverted, as it must be square and have a non-zero determinant. A matrix without an inverse is singular and cannot be used to solve systems of linear equations. Alternative methods must be used in this case.
Physicaa

Homework Statement

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
a &b \\
c&d
\end{bmatrix}$$

I'm supposed to find the inverse

Homework Equations

Method of Gauss-Jordan

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried putting zeros in this and I got the following :

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
ad-ac &0 &ad &ad-a \\
0&bc-ad &c &-a
\end{bmatrix}$$

Does my procedure seem to make any sense ?

I know that after that I must have two "1"

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your inverse matrix? It should be 2x2.
Just multiply it with the original matrix to check that you got the right result.

Likes Physicaa
Physicaa said:

Homework Statement

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
a &b \\
c&d
\end{bmatrix}$$

I'm supposed to find the inverse

Homework Equations

Method of Gauss-Jordan

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried putting zeros in this and I got the following :

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
ad-ac &0 &ad &ad-a \\
0&bc-ad &c &-a
\end{bmatrix}$$

Does my procedure seem to make any sense ?

I know that after that I must have two "1"
No, what you're doing doesn't make any sense.

the definition of the inverse of matrix A is

A * A-1 = I,

where A-1 is the inverse of A and I is the identity matrix, which contains 1 on the main diagonal and is zero everywhere else.

You can calculate the inverse by solving the system of equations above for multiple RHS as indicated:

Code:
| a   c | | x1  x2 |   | 1   0 |
| b   d | | x3  x4 | = | 0   1 |

The system above can be solved by Gaussian elimination. The values x1 ... x4 will be the elements of the inverse matrix.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MatrixInverse.html

Likes Physicaa
SteamKing said:

the definition of the inverse of matrix A is

A * A-1 = I,

where A-1 is the inverse of A and I is the identity matrix, which contains 1 on the main diagonal and is zero everywhere else.

You can calculate the inverse by solving the system of equations above for multiple RHS as indicated:

Code:
| a   c | | x1  x2 |   | 1   0 |
| b   d | | x3  x4 | = | 0   1 |

The system above can be solved by Gaussian elimination. The values x1 ... x4 will be the elements of the inverse matrix.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MatrixInverse.html
I was finally able to solve the problem. Thank you anyway for your answer. I am still stuck on the Gaussian elimination of the other problem though :/

No, what you have shown there does NOT make any sense! Where did you get it?
It is true that one method of finding the inverse to a given matrix is to write the given matrix with the identity matrix beside it:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
then use "row operations" to reduce the given matrix to the identity matrix while at the same time applying those same row operations to the identity matrix.
A good way to do the row operations is to work one row and column at a time. For example, The first few step should be to divide the entire first row by a, in order to get "1" there, then subtract that new first row, times c, from the second row, to get "0" there:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & \frac{b}{a} \\ 0 & d- \frac{bc}{a}\end{matrix}\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{a} & 0 \\ -\frac{c}{a} & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, divide the second row, of both matrices, by [tex]d- \frac{ac}{b}= \frac{ad- bc}{b}[/tex] to get a "1" in the last place (you may recognize that "db- ac" as the determinant of the original matrix) then subtract that times the b/a from the first row- again for both matrices. That will give
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\frac{d}{ad- bc} & \frac{-b}{ad- bc} \\ \frac{c}{ad- bc} & \frac{a}{ad- bc} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
-

SteamKing said:
I think what the OP was doing was setting up the augmented matrix
$$\left[\begin{array}{cc|cc} a & b & 1 & 0 \\ c & d & 0 & 1\end{array}\right]$$ and then using Gaussian elimination to turn the lefthand side into the identity matrix. The righthand side would then be the inverse. The method is fine, but the fact that the OP's matrix has no ##b## on the righthand side indicates something went wrong.

vela said:
I think what the OP was doing was setting up the augmented matrix
$$\left[\begin{array}{cc|cc} a & b & 1 & 0 \\ c & d & 0 & 1\end{array}\right]$$ and then using Gaussian elimination to turn the lefthand side into the identity matrix. The righthand side would then be the inverse. The method is fine, but the fact that the OP's matrix has no ##b## on the righthand side indicates something went wrong.
I solved the problem, there's no need now.

Physicaa said:
I solved the problem, there's no need now.
It's not all about you. ;) I was clarifying your unclear and confusing original post for the benefit of others, like SteamKing.

Likes epenguin and Physicaa

What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it "undoes" the original matrix.

Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, which are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or the adjugate matrix method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best method to use depends on the size and structure of the matrix.

Can every matrix be inverted?

No, not every matrix can be inverted. A matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. Matrices with a determinant of 0 are called singular matrices and do not have an inverse.

What happens if a matrix does not have an inverse?

If a matrix does not have an inverse, it is said to be singular and cannot be inverted. This means that the matrix cannot be used to solve systems of linear equations, and alternative methods must be used to find a solution.