Invertible Matrices (Ring) - How to Show Existence of Inverse in Zp

In summary, if a 2x2 matrix over a prime field Zp has a nonzero determinant, then it is invertible in the ring of all 2x2 matrices over Zp. This is because the inverse can be found by multiplying the original matrix by a specific matrix and then multiplying both sides by the inverse of the determinant.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Let R be the ring of all 2*2 matrices over Zp, p a prime,. Show that if det(a b c d) = ad - bc ≠ 0, then (a b c d) is invertible in R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start if Zp, with p a prime, is the clause. I know that since ad- bc ≠ 0, it automatically makes the matrix (a b c d) invertible in R.. but does the determinant have to be one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most straight-forward way of showing something is invertible is simply find an inverse element and check that it is indeed the inverse. I think there is a very good candidate for the inverse in this case.

PieceOfPi said:
The most straight-forward way of showing something is invertible is simply find an inverse element and check that it is indeed the inverse. I think there is a very good candidate for the inverse in this case.

A matrix A= (a b c d) has an inverse B = [1/(ad-bc)] (d -b -c a).
Does Zp, p a prime, give any information about the elements of Matrix A, specifically? Does that mean the elements must be prime themselves, or is the determinant prime?...I'm not sure how to focus on what's relevant here.
If ad-bc = 1, then can I prove something about the prime nature of a, b, c, d?

Justabeginner said:
A matrix A= (a b c d) has an inverse B = [1/(ad-bc)] (d -b -c a).
Does Zp, p a prime, give any information about the elements of Matrix A, specifically?
For one thing, it ensures that ##1/(ad - bc)## exists as long as ##ad - bc \neq 0##. This would not be true in general for ##Z_n## where ##n## is not prime. (For example, in ##Z_4##, the element ##2## has no inverse.) What is special about ##Z_p## for prime ##p##?

One thing to note is that in the set of real numbers, 1/(ad-bc) is an inverse of ad-bc provided that ad-bc is not equal to 0.

jbunniii said:
For one thing, it ensures that ##1/(ad - bc)## exists as long as ##ad - bc \neq 0##. This would not be true in general for ##Z_n## where ##n## is not prime. (For example, in ##Z_4##, the element ##2## has no inverse.) What is special about ##Z_p## for prime ##p##?

Zp is a field if and only if p is prime.

Suppose p, prime, where P>=2. and Zp = {0, 1,...p-1}
Zp satisfies field axioms of closure, commutativity, and associativity by addition through integer properties. Additive identity also exists as in integers. Additive inverse also exists: For x in Zp, take -x(mod p). Then x + (-x) = 0 mod p.

Closure under multiplication also occurs since for x and y in Zp, xy mod p in Zp exists.
Commutativity, associativity, and identity of multiplication also exists by property of integers.
For x in Zp, the multiplicative inverse 1/x cannot occur in Zp. So ax + bp = 1
Then ax= 1 mod p
So, a is the multiplicative inverse of x.

If p is not prime, then Zp is not a field.

Since p is not prime, p= mn where m,n ≠0 and m,n≠1. If Zp is a field, then m would have a multiplicative inverse such that mm-1= 1.
Then n*1 = n *(mm-1) = (mn)m-1 = pm-1 = 0.
But n≠0, so proof by contradiction holds.
Zp cannot be a field if p is not prime.

Justabeginner said:
Zp is a field if and only if p is prime.
Yes, that's correct. Every nonzero element of ##Z_p## has an inverse if and only if ##p## is prime. This is true of matrices, too: if we were working in ##Z_4##, for example, then the matrix
$$\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}$$
would have no inverse.

jbunniii said:
Yes, that's correct. Every nonzero element of ##Z_p## has an inverse if and only if ##p## is prime. This is true of matrices, too: if we were working in ##Z_4##, for example, then the matrix
$$\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}$$
would have no inverse.

How may I 'show' that the matrix has an inverse then? Using a property of a field?

Justabeginner said:
How may I 'show' that the matrix has an inverse then? Using a property of a field?
You could show that there is no matrix ##\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}## satisfying
$$\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$
This is clear if we simply carry out the matrix multiplication on the left hand side. Indeed, multiplying the first row of ##\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}## by the first column of ##\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}##, and setting equal to the ##(1,1)##'th element of the right hand side, we get the equation ##2a = 1##, which has no solution in ##Z_4##.

[edit] Sorry, I misread your question. I thought you were asking how to show that ##\begin{pmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2\end{pmatrix}## has no inverse in ##Z_4##.

To show that a matrix ##M## DOES have an inverse, it suffices to find another matrix ##X## such that ##MX = I##.

As you said above, if you start with an arbitrary matrix ##\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}##, then
$$\begin{pmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}d & -b \\ -c & a\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}ad-bc & 0 \\ 0 & ad-bc \end{pmatrix}$$
Now if ##ad-bc## is nonzero, then it has an inverse since ##Z_p## is a field. Call this inverse ##1/(ad-bc)##. Now multiply both sides by ##1/(ad-bc)## to obtain the result you need.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix, also known as a non-singular matrix, is a square matrix that can be reversed or inverted to its original form by multiplying it with another square matrix. This means that the matrix has a unique solution and is not linearly dependent on any other matrix.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. This can be found by using the determinant formula, which is the sum of the products of the elements in the first row and their corresponding cofactors. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is not invertible.

3. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. In order for a matrix to be invertible, it must be a square matrix, meaning it has the same number of rows and columns.

4. What is the inverse of an invertible matrix?

The inverse of an invertible matrix A is denoted as A-1 and is the matrix that, when multiplied with A, results in the identity matrix. In other words, A-1 is the matrix that "undoes" the effects of A.

5. Why are invertible matrices important?

Invertible matrices are important in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, find the coefficients of a polynomial, and perform transformations in geometry. Invertible matrices also have applications in computer graphics, cryptography, and statistical analysis.