Inverting Op Amp Homework - Solve V(output) Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit involving an op amp and resistors, with the goal of finding the voltage at the inverting input. The attempt at a solution includes using an equation for the voltage output and seeking guidance on what is being done wrong. The correct voltage is found to be 0.0001, and applying KCL at the node where R2, R4, and R3 join is suggested. The conversation concludes with discussing the flow of current at the junction of R1, R2, and the op amp's negative terminal.
Lonesong

Homework Statement

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/jqqoz

Homework Equations

V(output) = V(input)(R2/R1)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above is valid if the back part of the upper circuit (involving R3,R4 and the Earth wire) does not exist. I tried to improvise with it by using the equation V(output) = V(input)(R2+1/(1/R3+1/R4))/R1 however the answer is wrong. Just need some guidance as to what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get the voltage at the inverting (-) input of the opamp?

That would be Vi/30 000= 3/30000 = 0.0001

edit: Oh wait, that's the current. Sorry.

Last edited:
Good, that's correct. So what is the voltage then?

If you assume the things that you need to about ideal op-amps, then you basically just have a simple circuit to solve with one voltage source and a few resistors. I find it helpful to apply KCL at the node where R2, R4, and R3 all join. You can relate the voltage at this node to the input voltage, because you know what the voltage at the inverting input must be.

You have 100 uA flowing into the junction of R1, R2 and the op amp - terminal. Where is that current flowing to from there?

Related to Inverting Op Amp Homework - Solve V(output) Equation

1. What is an inverting op amp?

An inverting op amp is an electronic circuit component that amplifies an input signal by a specific factor while inverting the polarity of the output signal.

2. How do I solve for the output voltage equation in an inverting op amp?

To solve for the output voltage equation in an inverting op amp, you can use the formula V(output) = -(R2/R1) * V(input). R1 and R2 refer to the resistors in the circuit, and V(input) is the input voltage.

3. What is the gain of an inverting op amp?

The gain of an inverting op amp is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. It is typically expressed as a negative value due to the inversion of the output signal.

4. How do I choose the appropriate resistors for my inverting op amp circuit?

The ratio of R2 to R1 determines the gain of the inverting op amp. To choose appropriate resistors, you must first determine the desired gain and then calculate the ratio between the two resistors using the formula R2/R1 = -V(output) / V(input).

5. Can I use a negative input voltage with an inverting op amp?

Yes, an inverting op amp can accept both positive and negative input voltages. However, the output voltage will always be inverted and have the opposite polarity of the input voltage.