Ion Behavior in Electric Field

In summary: I was thinking of using a spark gap, but I don't know if that would work. In summary, when a gas is ionized using a sufficiently strong electric field, the positive ions drift toward one plate while the electrons are attracted to the other.
Misha Kuznetsov
If a gas is ionized using a sufficiently strong electric field (created by two plates, and where the gas is the medium in between), the positive ions would drift toward one plate while the electrons would be attracted to the other. What would happen when the electrons and ions reach the corresponding plates. Would the electrons be absorbed by the positive one and the ions neutralize at the negative one?

-Misha

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
This reduces the charge of the plates a bit, unless you have some power source connected (then you get a small current).

Okay. Is there a way to create the ions, and then to separate the electrons and ions by using an electric field, but without letting the ions neutralize?

Also, when a discharge occurs, is it the electric potential that creates ions or the actual spark?

You can have a hole in the cathode to allow some ions to shoot through. Will be tricky with vacuum and other issues. What do you want to do?

Misha Kuznetsov said:
Also, when a discharge occurs, is it the electric potential that creates ions or the actual spark?
You can have field ionization without sparks, but sparks are very effective at creating ions as well.

I want to make ions in a chamber. Then remove the electrons somehow, I was thinking that I could just have a positively charged plate to absorb them. The ions would repel one another and the pressure in the chamber would increase. So I don't think having a hole in the cathode would work very well for that.

The problem I'm having is that I can't let the ions neutralize, yet I can't use a barrier that would prevent a spark.

There are ion traps, but they work with magnetic fields and the pressure is tiny compared to atmospheric pressure.

1. What is ion behavior in an electric field?

The behavior of ions in an electric field refers to the movement and interaction of charged particles, or ions, in the presence of an electric field. This behavior is influenced by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge and mass of the ions.

2. How do ions behave in an electric field?

Ions will experience a force in an electric field, causing them to move in a particular direction depending on their charge. Positively charged ions, or cations, will move towards the negative pole of the electric field, while negatively charged ions, or anions, will move towards the positive pole.

3. What factors affect ion behavior in an electric field?

The strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge and mass of the ions, can all affect the behavior of ions in an electric field. Other factors, such as the presence of other ions or molecules, can also impact ion behavior.

4. How does an electric field affect the speed of ions?

The speed of ions in an electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that a stronger electric field will cause ions to move faster, while a weaker electric field will result in slower ion movement.

5. What is the significance of understanding ion behavior in an electric field?

Understanding ion behavior in an electric field is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. It allows us to manipulate and control the movement of ions, which is essential in many technological applications, including batteries, fuel cells, and semiconductors.