Can surrounding temperature affect IR camera results analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an infrared camera to determine the emissivity of a steel. The camera uses an energy balance equation to calculate the temperature, assuming blackbody behavior. The question arises whether the temperature of the surroundings should be incorporated into the equation, as it can affect the results. The conversation also mentions the importance of controlling various sensitivities when using an IR camera for testing. The speaker also shares their experience using the camera for testing at their company.
fictionx
Hello all,

I'm currently using an infrared camera to determine the emissivity of a steel. The camera "sees" whatever radiation entering the objective, and calculates the temperature of the steel by assuming it's emissivity is 1. I figured I could use an energy balance to find the emissivity:

σ(Tc)^4 = εσ(Ta)^4

where Tc is the temperature that the camera says and Ta is the actual temperature. Because the camera assumes blackbody behavior, I do not include the ε on the left hand side.

My question is, do I need to somehow incorporate the temperature of the surroundings in my equation? I wasn't sure if I am supposed to add it to the right hand side and use an emissivity of 1. It changes the outcome drastically.

Thanks,
fictionx

Engineering news on Phys.org
We regularly use a FLIR camera for testing at my company. The emissivity value for the test product was determined experimentally. Multiple thermocouples were placed on the actual part and the emissivity value of the IR camera was "calibrated" until acceptable results were obtained that correlated to the thermocouple values.

We also discovered that the IR camera was very sensitive to
  • incident angle of camera-to-part
  • distance of camera-to-part
  • ambient temperature
  • ambient air currents
  • elevation of camera-to-part
  • probably some other things I can't remember

Our testing procedure now incorporates setups to control all of those various sensitivities.

That's pretty intense thank you for this information. Eventually I'm going to be trying to use our camera to determine the temperature of a moving granulate salt in a screw heat exchanger which has IR optical glass on top. Another problem I'm running into is that when the glass gets warmer it also emits and it screws up the results.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing IR camera results?

The purpose of analyzing IR camera results is to identify and interpret the temperature patterns and changes that are captured by the camera. This can help in detecting anomalies and potential issues in a variety of applications such as electrical systems, building inspections, and medical imaging.

2. How do you interpret the color scales on an IR camera?

The color scale on an IR camera represents the temperature range captured by the camera. Typically, warmer temperatures are represented by red, orange, and yellow colors, while cooler temperatures are represented by blue and purple colors. The exact color scale and temperature range can vary depending on the camera's settings and calibration.

3. Can IR cameras see through walls or objects?

No, IR cameras cannot see through walls or objects. They can only capture the surface temperature of an object or material and cannot penetrate through solid surfaces. However, they can detect temperature differences on the surface of objects and materials, which can provide valuable information for certain applications.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of IR camera results?

The accuracy of IR camera results can be affected by several factors, including ambient temperature, distance from the object being measured, and the emissivity of the object's surface. It is important to understand and account for these factors when analyzing IR camera results to ensure accurate and reliable data.

5. What are some common applications of IR camera results analysis?

IR camera results analysis has a wide range of applications, including electrical and mechanical inspections, building and home energy audits, medical imaging, and research and development in various industries. It can also be used in forensic investigations, agriculture, and even in the military for surveillance and detection purposes.