IR LED irradiance, radiant exposure and radiance

In summary, the speaker is trying to design a device to detect eye blinking during sleep and has used the TCRT5000 sensor in the prototype. However, they have safety concerns regarding the IR exposure to the eyelids and the eye itself. They are looking for information on irradiance, radiant exposure, and radiance, as well as ways to lower the intensity/power of the IR emitter. The speaker also mentions wanting to keep the sensor 5mm above the eye of a sleeping person and questions the necessity of detailed calculations for power values.
gloria
Hi!

I'm trying to design a device to detect eye blinking while a person is sleeping.

I have tried to use TCRT5000 sensor (http://www.vishay.com/docs/83760/tcrt5000.pdf) in the prototype and it works like charm ! However, since the TCRT5000 sensor has an IR emmitter I have some safety concerns regarding the IR exposure of the eyelids (mainly, since the eyes are closed) and the eye itself when he/she blinks.

Consequenty, I would need the following information that we couldn't find in the factsheet:

irradiance (W/m^2), radiant exposure (J/m^2) and radiance (W/(m^2 sr)) using the link about the sensor I provided

I would really appreciated if someone could explain me how to compute it (which formulas i need) using the data I have in the pdf (which data i need)

Moreover, it has to be considered that the person will be exposed to it 8h/day for their lifetime. If you know a way to low the intensity/power of the IR emitter it would be also apreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to keep a sensor 5mm above the eye of a sleeping person? Even if the person is moving? For the whole lifetime? May I ask how and why?

All power values will depend on the way you operate your LED. For a detailed model you would need the angular dependence of the emitted light of the LED and other details, together with a good model for the eyes. I don't think all this is necessary: you are probably way below the amount of light an eye receives during daylight, so heating is not an issue and at 950 nm wavelength the eye cannot see it.

1. What is IR LED irradiance?

IR LED irradiance refers to the amount of infrared (IR) light energy that is emitted from an IR LED source per unit area. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) and is a measure of the intensity of the IR light.

2. How is IR LED radiant exposure calculated?

IR LED radiant exposure is calculated by multiplying the IR irradiance by the exposure time. This provides a measure of the total energy delivered by the IR light over a given period of time. It is typically measured in joules per square meter (J/m²).

3. What is the difference between irradiance and radiance?

Irradiance refers to the amount of light energy that is incident on a surface per unit area, while radiance refers to the amount of light energy that is emitted or reflected from a surface per unit solid angle. In other words, irradiance is a measure of the intensity of the light hitting a surface, while radiance is a measure of the brightness of the light emitted or reflected from a surface.

4. How is IR LED radiance measured?

IR LED radiance is measured using a radiometer, which is a device that detects and measures the intensity of light. The radiometer typically has a sensor that is sensitive to IR light and can provide a measurement of the radiance in watts per square meter per steradian (W/m²/sr).

5. What factors can affect IR LED irradiance, radiant exposure, and radiance?

The intensity and properties of IR light can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the light source, the angle of incidence, the reflectivity of the surrounding surfaces, and the transmission properties of the medium through which the light is passing. Additionally, the properties of the IR LED itself, such as its power output and wavelength, can also affect these measurements.