Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irish folk punk

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    Ever heard the Dropkick Murphys, The Pogues, Flogging Molly, etc? I love this stuff.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter Molly listens to Flogging Molly. It's not bad - she's listened to worse.

Like once I came home from work and heard what I thought was a blender running in her room. Nope, it was just her music...terrible music.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    Ha ha...I dunno, I understand where people (generally of the previous generations) don't like the same music as younger people, but to say its all bad (not that you did) just from a few samples is bad.

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:smile:

My advanced years aside, I would call music that sounds like a small appliance "bad music"!

6. Oct 16, 2008 #5

Art

The Pogues original name was póg mo thóin (or Anglicized as Pogue Mahone) which is Gaelic for 'kiss my arse'.

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6
    Yeah, they actually write some good love songs though.

8. Oct 16, 2008 #7

Art

Yes, I've liked them for many years. They do a very good version of 'And the band played Waltzing Mathilda' available on youtube

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Oct 16, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somehow I find that disturbing. :biggrin:

10. Oct 16, 2008 #9
    Dropkick Murphys aren't bad music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcxM3Xhho78&feature=related

When I was younger I remember hearing of Rancid when they first formed (after opiv) and seeing what late 80's "punks" looked like and assumed it was really bad music. Shortly thereafter I realised how great this music CAN be. (given the right bands).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Oct 16, 2008 #10
    I'm gonna be a generic punk rocker for halloween this year...liberty spikes and a leather jacket...I'll be sure to get picks up

12. Oct 16, 2008 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OMG! Where have you BEEN all my life????

I found Flogging Molly by connection with Spirit of the West and now I cannot get enough of them! I like Pogues too, and Dropkick Murphies are OK.

When people ask me what music I like, and I tell them "I call it Irish Folk Punk" they look at me askance. (In fact, when I saw the subject line, I assumed I had started this thread myself some time previously.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  13. Oct 16, 2008 #12

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have not thought about the Pogues in years.....About time to get my cassettes out or get a few CD's.......

Shane MacGowan had a raw voice, bitter etc..... just what my bosses need to hear me playing at work......

14. Oct 16, 2008 #13
    I think you experienced some "screamo" its hillarious when people listen to it on their stereos, but live its a lot better. Need to know the elbow-punch-kick dance moves though. I call it kill the hobbit. Its music that is meant for getting extremely drugged up on your substance of choice and wailing on anyone you can get close to. Its not really meant for just sitting around and listening, in fact, kill the hobbit really needs a whole group of people, elbow-punch-kick is no fun alone.

15. Oct 16, 2008 #14
    Cool Dave. I've been learning some of all of these bands songs on both mandolin and banjo.

16. Oct 16, 2008 #15
    I have never heard of any of these bands, but it sounds like I'm going to have to check them out.

17. Oct 16, 2008 #16
    Flogging Molly is awesome. I have played it in bars with lots of older folks and most of them enjoy it aswell. Some of it is a bit hard and some of its rather melodic.

The Pogues are great. I love "Young Ned of the Hill" and their rendition of "Waltzing Matilda", which Art mentions, is really great aswell.

DropKick Murphy's are a bit harder than Flogging Molly though they have they're more melodic bits aswell. They're Boston Irish, not very traditional Irish. They're influenced alot by Oi and hardcore and they tend to be conservative politically. It crops up in some of their songs.
    Not bad but not great.

In a similar vain is The Real McKenzies who are a Scottish Punk band. Pretty much punk with bagpipes, very much Oi influenced. Quite good and amusing if you can stand to listen to Oi.

18. Oct 16, 2008 #17
    There are a bunch of Irish songs I've found downloading (shhh!).

The Mahones are a Canadian "Irish Punk" band though the songs I have sound more like the Pogues.

Patty's Irish Clan is similar to the Pogues but more of a traditional pub song band.

Planxty is an awesome traditional Irish folk band. Lots of great intrumentals.

The Irish Rovers I have only heard in collaboration with The Pogues but they sound pretty good.

I recently found some "Irish Rebel Songs" that are pretty good. Most of them I didn't care for much but a few were pretty fun.
    Athenrye - Go On Home British Soldier
    Battering Ram - Come Out and Fight
    Battering Ram - Dungannon '57
    Irish Brigade - Kinky Boots (a funny rewrite of Brand New Key by Melanie)
    The Dublin City Ramblers - 19 Men

Others I have that I dont know who sings them..
    Those Were the Days
    Beer Beer Beer

If you like Bagpipes The Scottish Rogues are pretty good. I even have a snip and loop of their "Clumsy Lover" for a ringtone on my phone.

I think that's it...

19. Oct 16, 2008 #18
    Yeah...Beer Beer Beer is prevalent and misnamed on the sour green citrus fruit line.

20. Oct 17, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They are what inspired me to start learning the fiddle.

21. Oct 17, 2008 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I went to the Irish 2000 Folk Festival in Albany NY this year (with Great Big Sea and The Tossers), but I was really annoyed to discover that Flogging Molly had been there last year. Doh!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?