Iron Core Solenoid: Calculating Applied Field and Magnetisation

In summary, this solenoid seems to have magnetised the iron alloy massively, even when applied a very small current.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Iron core solenoid, with 50 turns per cm (5000 per metre)
Current = 0.2A
Measured B field = 1.58T

Calculate:
i) The applied field, Bapplied
ii) The magnitude of magnetisation, M, of iron alloy

Homework Equations

For a long solenoid, Bapplied0nI
And, generally, B=Bapplied0M

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually confused mainly on the first part because the answer isn't as it seems.

For a solenoid, the applied field is:
B=μ0nI

So I get B = 1.26E-6 * 5000 * 0.2 = 1.26mT

This would then suggest, for part ii), that the magnetisation for the iron alloy is (1.58 - 0.00126)T = 1.579T

It seems the iron alloy has been rather hugely magnetised by such a small applied field!
I worry if this is actually correct, or I've done something wrong..?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:
So I get B = 1.26E-6 * 5000 * 0.2 = 1.26mT

This would then suggest, for part ii), that the magnetisation for the iron alloy is (1.58 - 0.00126)T = 1.579T
Is this the value for M or for μ0M?

It seems the iron alloy has been rather hugely magnetised by such a small applied field!
Yes. Ferromagnetic materials are amazing! :smile:

Likes sa1988
TSny said:
Is this the value for M or for μ0M?Yes. Ferromagnetic materials are amazing! :smile:

Ah, oops, yeah I missed out the μ0 term.

Still I was shocked by the seemingly huge resultant B field from such a tiny current in the solenoid.

So M = (B-Bapp)/μ0 = (1.58-0.00126)/μ0

However I'm now shocked again because this gives a magnetisation of 1.25E6... which is huge! (Or is it...?) I can't seem to find any examples online with actual numerical values for me to consider as a reference towards my own answer.

Simply, I don't know what a typical magnetisation value should look like. Should it be as huge as that?

Yes, your numbers look reasonable for iron. It is amazing and it shows what a large group of entities (atoms) can accomplish when they cooperate.

Likes sa1988
TSny said:
Yes, your numbers look reasonable for iron. It is amazing and it shows what a large group of entities (atoms) can accomplish when they cooperate.

Great stuff, thanks :angel:

1. What is an iron core solenoid?

An iron core solenoid is an electrical device that uses a coil of wire wrapped around an iron core to create a strong magnetic field. It is commonly used in electromagnets, relays, and other applications where a strong and controllable magnetic field is needed.

2. How does an iron core solenoid work?

When an electric current is passed through the coil of wire in an iron core solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. The iron core amplifies this magnetic field, making it stronger. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of current flowing through the coil.

3. What is the purpose of the iron core in a solenoid?

The iron core is used to increase the strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid. Iron is a ferromagnetic material, which means it can be easily magnetized. When placed inside the coil of wire, the iron core becomes magnetized and enhances the magnetic field created by the current in the coil.

4. What are the advantages of using an iron core solenoid?

Iron core solenoids have several advantages over other types of solenoids. They can produce a strong and uniform magnetic field, they are relatively inexpensive, and they are easy to control. They also have a high magnetic permeability, meaning they can quickly and efficiently amplify the magnetic field.

5. How are iron core solenoids used in everyday life?

Iron core solenoids are used in a variety of everyday devices, such as doorbells, electric locks, and speakers. They are also used in industrial equipment, such as conveyor belts and industrial magnets. Additionally, they are used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in automotive applications, such as fuel injectors and automatic door locks.