Is an Engineering book by Stoud sufficient for learning Calculus?

In summary, an Engineering book by Stoud is not enough for learning Calculus as it may not cover all the necessary topics and may use different terminology and examples. It should not be used as a substitute for a Calculus textbook and may not be sufficient for advanced courses. However, it can be used for self-study along with a Calculus textbook for a more comprehensive understanding. It is recommended to use a Calculus textbook for a thorough understanding of the subject.
nickmo94
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this sort of question in, but I assumed it would be proper given by the fact that my question pertains to learning calculus, and thus should be relevant to the calculus forum.

Anywho...

I just recently started my study of calculus and have come across a plethora of different books of different qualities. Right now, the best one for me has proved to be "The Calculus Lifesaver", as it explains the fundamentals LUCIDLY, without over complicating simple concepts like basically every textbook does. I'm also using one of those overcomplicated textbooks for the exercises to get some practice in, but aside from that, they seem to be useless.

I have recently heard about, and now browsed through, an engineering book called "Engineering Mathematics" by Stroud, and it seems to cover basically everything that is needed for the first three semesters of calculus (at least it seems that way to me), and since I'm trying to self-study for AP Calculus BC, it seems to be of proper breadth and scope.

I just want to know what people think of using an Engineering book to self-study calculus. This is not to say that I won't occasionally use other references, but rather that this one would be my main form of learning. Would anyone recommend doing this? Or would I be missing something that a traditional Calculus textbook would have that an Engineering one wouldn't?

Forgive the lengthy post, thank you for reading; and thank you for future feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is great to see that you are taking the initiative to self-study calculus. I can offer some insights and recommendations on using an engineering book for learning calculus.

Firstly, it is important to understand that calculus is a fundamental tool used in many fields, including engineering. Therefore, an engineering book may cover the necessary concepts and applications of calculus that you will encounter in your AP Calculus BC exam. However, it is also important to note that engineering books may focus more on the practical applications of calculus rather than the theoretical foundations. This may be beneficial for understanding real-world problems, but it may not provide a comprehensive understanding of calculus as a whole.

In contrast, traditional calculus textbooks often provide a more comprehensive and in-depth coverage of the theory behind calculus. This may be helpful in building a strong foundation for future studies in mathematics and other related fields. Moreover, traditional calculus textbooks often include a variety of exercises and examples that can help reinforce the concepts and develop problem-solving skills.

In summary, using an engineering book as your main source of learning calculus may be effective in covering the necessary topics for your AP Calculus BC exam. However, it may not provide a complete understanding of the theoretical foundations of calculus. Therefore, I would recommend using a combination of both an engineering book and a traditional calculus textbook for a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your studies!

1. Is an Engineering book by Stoud enough for learning Calculus?

No, an Engineering book by Stoud may cover some concepts of Calculus, but it may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject. It is better to use a textbook specifically designed for Calculus.

2. Can I use an Engineering book by Stoud as a substitute for a Calculus textbook?

No, an Engineering book by Stoud should not be used as a substitute for a Calculus textbook. It may not cover all the necessary topics and may use different terminology and examples.

3. Will an Engineering book by Stoud be enough for advanced Calculus courses?

No, an Engineering book by Stoud may only cover the basics of Calculus and may not be sufficient for advanced courses such as multivariable calculus or differential equations.

4. Can I use an Engineering book by Stoud for self-study of Calculus?

Yes, you can use an Engineering book by Stoud for self-study of Calculus. However, it is recommended to also consult a Calculus textbook for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

5. Is it necessary to use a Calculus textbook in addition to an Engineering book by Stoud for learning Calculus?

Yes, it is recommended to use a Calculus textbook in addition to an Engineering book by Stoud for a thorough understanding of the subject. A textbook specifically designed for Calculus will cover all the necessary topics and provide more practice problems and examples.