Is Angular Momentum Truly Quantized in Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses some confusing areas in Quantum Mechanics notes and the differences between two conditions for the Bohr model of the atom. One person questions what a certain quantity in the path integral represents and another person points out a mistake in the derivation of the wave function for an electron.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I've come across some confusing areas in my Quantum Mechanics notes. This is an introductory course, taken over the summer semester, so I don't know my stuff too well yet. :redface:

My prof's notes begin with the Bohr model of the atom, stating that the entire model comes from classical physics with the additional condition that angular momentum is quantized:

[tex]L = n \hbar [/tex]
[tex]n = 1, 2, ...[/tex]

Directly underneath, he states that this condition can be replaced by

[tex]\oint \vec{p} \cdot d \vec{r} = nh = 2 \pi \hbar n[/tex]

I'm wondering what this quantity in the path integral represents. If the two conditions are truly equivalent, then it should represent angular momentum. But angular momentum [tex]\inline \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/tex], so how do you arrive at this integral? Also, if the two conditions are supposed to be equivalent, then why does the former have [tex]\inline n \hbar[/tex], and the latter [tex]\inline 2\pi n \hbar[/tex]?

Now we skip a few pages, and we get to the point where he has defined the wave function for an electron as:

[tex]\psi (x,t) = Ae^{i \frac{px-Et}{\hbar} }[/tex]

And underneath:

Note: [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = -\hbar^2 p^2 \psi (x,t)[/tex]

I don't know about you, but when I differentiated, I actually got:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} = -\frac{p^2}{\hbar^2} \psi (x,t)[/tex]

It's entirely possible that my prof merely needs a new pair of glasses. But if I'm the one in error and am incapable of performing basic tasks such as differentiation, then I'd like to know sooner rather than later :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your prof made a mistake in the derivation, your outcome is right...

The first question is solved in the attached word-doc, ok?

regards marlon

Last edited:

Hi there! It's great that you're taking an interest in Quantum Mechanics and looking for clarification on some confusing areas. I'll do my best to answer your questions and hopefully clear up any misunderstandings.

Regarding the first question about the equivalence of the two conditions for quantization of angular momentum, it's important to note that the path integral approach is a more general and powerful way of understanding quantum mechanics. The first condition, L = n \hbar, is a specific case of the path integral, where the path integral is taken over a circular path with radius r = n\hbar/p. This results in the expression \oint \vec{p} \cdot d\vec{r} = nh, which represents the quantization of angular momentum. So, in a sense, the path integral approach encompasses and generalizes the Bohr model.

For your second question, you are correct in your differentiation of the wave function. The expression given by your professor is incorrect, and it should be \frac{p^2}{\hbar^2} instead of -\hbar^2 p^2. It's always a good idea to double check the math and formulas presented by your professor, as they can make mistakes from time to time.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification when needed. Good luck with the rest of your course!

Related to Is Angular Momentum Truly Quantized in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a mathematical framework that explains the fundamental principles of how particles interact and behave.

2. What are the main principles of quantum mechanics?

The main principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at once. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected and affect each other's states, even when separated by large distances. Uncertainty refers to the fact that we cannot simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle.

3. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics applies to microscopic objects. In classical mechanics, objects have definite positions and velocities, while in quantum mechanics, particles exist in multiple states at once and have probabilities associated with their position and momentum.

4. How does quantum mechanics impact our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of modern technologies such as computers, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials and chemical reactions.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life phenomenon explained by quantum mechanics?

An example of a real-life phenomenon explained by quantum mechanics is the photoelectric effect, where light is absorbed by atoms, causing electrons to be emitted. This phenomenon is used in solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity.