Is Dark Matter actually a gravitational byproduct of quantum field theory?

In summary, dark matter is a type of matter that is invisible to telescopes and other instruments but can be inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter. Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe particles and fields on a subatomic scale. Some theories propose that dark matter is a byproduct of quantum field theory, specifically through the interactions of a hypothetical particle called the "sterile neutrino." While there is currently no conclusive evidence, some studies suggest that properties of dark matter can be explained by the sterile neutrino's interactions within quantum field theory. If this is true, it could lead to a deeper understanding of dark matter's role in the universe and potential advancements in technology.
dan_b
Hi All,

I don't know whether to post this in quantum field theory or in cosmology. Maybe this stuff is one subject, not two. Hajdukovic published some papers recently which seem very intriguing even to an amateur like me who doesn't understand it. Here's the latest one:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f723g0856r4412w3/fulltext.pdf

Then I thought about the OPERA/CERN neutrino speed experiment, which is not yet confirmed or denied good enough to lay it to rest. Next I thought I read that a neutrino is considered its own anti-particle. Hajdukovic's hypothesis is that anti particles have anti gravity, and a virtual pair makes a little bit of gravitational dipole. This is similar to where a virtual pair of electron-positron makes a little bit of electric dipole which shows up as part of the Lamb shift or the Casimir effect. But this is gravitational so it's not like an electromagnetic field, unless we want to talk about certain other guys' electromagnetic theory of gravitation which appears to be the best flame bait in all of physics! Anyways, the action of these dipoles could collectively explain that Dark matter isn't a distinct form of matter as such, but rather a zero-point effect. Actually it explains a lot more than that in terms of the CDM-searching observations that people have made.

For this to be true, anti-particles have to have anti-gravity, which might be experimentally provable but darn hard to do.

If Hajdukovic is right, then wouldn't neutrinos and anti-neutrinos really be distinguishable, but solely by gravitational polarity? Any expert may be able to correct my major misinterpretations where I said a neutrino is it's own anti-particle, what the heck does that mean? Well, that's my problem, not yours! Might this have implications for the OPERA/CERN neutrino speed experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this interesting paper by Hajdukovic and your thoughts on it. I appreciate the curiosity and enthusiasm you have for these topics. I would like to address a few points you have brought up.

Firstly, quantum field theory and cosmology are indeed related subjects, with quantum field theory providing the foundation for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in the early universe. However, they are distinct fields of study and each has its own set of theories, experiments, and observations.

Regarding Hajdukovic's hypothesis about anti-particles and anti-gravity, I must caution that it is currently just a hypothesis and has not been experimentally proven. It is true that the OPERA/CERN neutrino speed experiment has not yet been confirmed or denied, but it is important to remember that this experiment is specifically testing the speed of neutrinos and not their gravitational properties. So, while it is an intriguing idea, it is not directly related to the OPERA/CERN experiment.

As for the idea that neutrinos and anti-neutrinos could be distinguished by their gravitational polarity, this is also a hypothesis that would require further experimental evidence. While it is true that neutrinos are considered their own anti-particles, this is based on their behavior and interactions in particle physics, not their gravitational properties.

In summary, while Hajdukovic's hypothesis is an interesting one, it is important to approach it with caution and to wait for experimental evidence before drawing any conclusions. As scientists, it is our responsibility to carefully evaluate and test hypotheses, and only accept them as true if they are supported by solid evidence. I hope this helps clarify some of your questions and thank you for bringing this topic to our attention.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as stars and galaxies.

2. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields on a subatomic scale. It is used to study the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

3. How does quantum field theory relate to dark matter?

Some theories propose that dark matter is a byproduct of quantum field theory, specifically through the interactions of a hypothetical particle called the "sterile neutrino." This particle is thought to interact with both normal matter and dark matter, providing a potential link between the two.

4. What evidence supports the idea that dark matter is a gravitational byproduct of quantum field theory?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence to support this idea. However, some studies have found that certain properties of dark matter, such as its mass and distribution in the universe, can be explained by the sterile neutrino's interactions within the framework of quantum field theory.

5. What are the implications if dark matter is indeed a gravitational byproduct of quantum field theory?

If this theory is proven to be true, it would provide a deeper understanding of the nature of dark matter and its fundamental role in the universe. It could also potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies based on the principles of quantum field theory.