Is Fusion Considered a Chemical Reaction in Stars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between chemical reactions and nuclear reactions. Chemical reactions involve the rearrangement of electrons, while nuclear reactions involve changes to atomic nuclei and the formation of new elements. Fusion, which takes place in stars, is a nuclear reaction where hydrogen nuclei combine to form helium. This is different from chemical reactions, which do not involve changes to atomic nuclei. The conversation also mentions fission, where a heavy nucleus breaks up, and the role of helium in nuclear reactions.
pinochet
im reading a chemistry text and its says in daltons law chemicals can not change into atoms during a chemical reaction.but if fusion is a chemical reaction then this is wrong beacuse in stars for example hydrogen combine with hydrogen to form helium .i guest i need a little clarification of what a chemical reaction is.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fusion is not a chemical reaction. It is a nuclear reaction. In chemical reactions nuclei don't change. Chemical reactions take place in low temperatures (up to several thousands K), while fusion requires temperatures many orders of magnitude higher (billions of K).

Likes pinochet and Titania
i guest i need a little clarification of what a chemical reaction is

chemical reactions involve electrons
whilst
nuclear reactions involve particles inside the atomic nucleus - protons and neutrons

Likes pinochet and Titania
pinochet said:
im reading a chemistry text and its says in daltons law chemicals can not change into atoms during a chemical reaction.but if fusion is a chemical reaction then this is wrong beacuse in stars for example hydrogen combine with hydrogen to form helium .i guest i need a little clarification of what a chemical reaction is.
I think not. Chemical reaction involves two substances that are chemically combined to form a brand new substance which is different from its original properties while nuclear reaction involves two nuclei colliding with each other at high speed to form a new type of atomic nucleus. (Am I correct?) Just like the Sun, hydrogen fuses with hydrogen to form helium via nuclear fusion.

Likes pinochet
Nuclear reactions involve changes to atomic nucleii, transforming the atom into that of a different element.
Nucleii combining to form heavier elements is fusion.
Then there also is fission where a heavier element's nucleus breaks up.
Commonly a helium nucleus splits off from the heavy nucleus and the remainder becomes a lighter element, which may then undergo still further decay.

Chemical reactions do not involve nucleii, the elements remain the same but they are recombined in different ways.

Last edited:
Likes pinochet
thank you guys i get it now .

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a type of nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy.

2. Is fusion a chemical reaction or a nuclear reaction?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction. Unlike chemical reactions, which involve changes in the electron configurations of atoms, fusion involves changes in the nuclei of atoms.

3. How is fusion different from fission?

Fusion and fission are both types of nuclear reactions, but they are opposite processes. Fusion involves combining two or more smaller atomic nuclei to form a larger one, while fission involves splitting a larger atomic nucleus into smaller ones.

4. Can fusion occur naturally on Earth?

Fusion does occur naturally on Earth, in the form of solar fusion. The sun and other stars use fusion reactions to produce energy and light.

5. What are the potential uses of fusion technology?

Fusion has the potential to be a source of clean and almost limitless energy. It could also be used in the production of new elements and materials, and in studying the behavior of matter at extremely high temperatures and pressures.