Is it OK to write the resistance in parallel like this?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a memory rhyme for calculating resistance in parallel, and the advantages of using a pocket calculator instead of a slide rule. The formula for resistance in parallel is mentioned, with a reminder to account for any R0 values and the importance of the total network resistance being smaller than any individual resistor. It is also noted that this formula can be used for inductors, but not for capacitors.
TBert
I am creating an equations sheet for electronics forumlas and am wondering if it is OK to write the equation for resistance in parallel like this:
33bnUFo.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
TBert said:
I am creating an equations sheet for electronics forumlas and am wondering if it is OK to write the equation for resistance in parallel like this: View attachment 197492
Yes.

My memory rhyme was always "Reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals"
which when pocket calculators came along in 1970's became quite handy.

Enter R,, press 1/x, press M+, repeat until all R's accounted for, press Recall Memory, press 1/x .

That's one place where a pocket calculator really outdoes a slide rule .

Your formula is much more elegant. Just make sure there's not a R0 !

have fun,.

old jim

Likes Electron Spin
A bit off track but in // r's the total network R should always be smaller than the smallest resistor in ohms.

Also, a network has no P/S whereas a circuit has a power supply.

And again what Jimbo said... R total = the sum of the reciprocals, reciprocated. You can use the same formula for inductors as well, whereas capacitors you treat opposite.

1. Can I write the resistance in parallel using the same values?

Yes, you can write the resistance in parallel using the same values. This means that all of the resistors in the parallel circuit will have the same resistance.

2. Is it necessary to write the resistance in parallel in a specific order?

No, the order in which the resistors are written in parallel does not matter. The resistance will be the same regardless of the order.

3. Will writing the resistance in parallel affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

Yes, writing the resistance in parallel will decrease the overall resistance of a circuit. This is because resistors in parallel have an equivalent resistance that is less than any individual resistor.

4. Can I write the resistance in parallel if the resistors have different values?

Yes, you can still write the resistance in parallel if the resistors have different values. However, the equivalent resistance will be less than the smallest individual resistor.

5. Are there any circumstances where it is not OK to write the resistance in parallel?

Yes, there are some cases where it is not recommended to write the resistance in parallel. This includes circuits with high voltages or currents, as well as circuits with non-linear components.