Is it theoretically possible to measure polariton mass?

In summary: Now, I'm not too sure if it is possible to measure quasiparticle mass in theory, at least to any high precision. Practically speaking, it would be pretty difficult to separate the quasiparticle mass from the particle masses that create it. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between quasiparticle mass and the particle masses that create them, but I'm not sure if that has been done or not.
Habeebe
Take it slow, polaritons are a new concept for me. Anyways, I'm trying to get some intuition for excitation polaritons having mass. Is this a quantity that we could directly measure, at least in theory if not practically? How would we separate the mass of the polariton itself from the mass of the particles that are creating the polariton? Are the things causing polaritons always separate from the polaritons themselves, or are they sometimes a "part" of the polariton? I'm thinking here specifically of a situation like a photon interacting with some EM field, is the photon still a separate entity?

Sorry for the barrage. Most of the stuff I've dug up so far is written a little above my pay grade so I'm trying to get a better handle on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Habeebe said:
Take it slow, polaritons are a new concept for me. Anyways, I'm trying to get some intuition for excitation polaritons having mass. Is this a quantity that we could directly measure, at least in theory if not practically? How would we separate the mass of the polariton itself from the mass of the particles that are creating the polariton? Are the things causing polaritons always separate from the polaritons themselves, or are they sometimes a "part" of the polariton? I'm thinking here specifically of a situation like a photon interacting with some EM field, is the photon still a separate entity?

Sorry for the barrage. Most of the stuff I've dug up so far is written a little above my pay grade so I'm trying to get a better handle on it.

From the way you are asking this ("... How would we separate the mass of the polariton itself from the mass of the particles that are creating the polariton... "), I need to make sure something is clarified first as the starting point. Are you familiar with the concept of "quasiparticles", as in the Fermi Liquid theory?

Zz.

Not at all. I mean I've heard cliff note's style version of what quasiparticles are, but that's it. I'll look into Fermi Liquid theory.

A polariton is a quasiparticle like ZapperZ said. A quasiparticle is a collective movement of a bunch of individual particles. Since a quasiparticle is a collective excitation, when we speak about quasiparticle mass we refer to effective mass. When a quasiparticle moves through a medium it causes fluctuations in the spacing of nearby lattice ions and surrounding particles; the size of the fluctuations in a medium a quasiparticle causes is related to its effective mass. If you imagine the quasiparticle as a single particle, and insert it into a lattice, the size of the fluctuations it causes would be due to its (effective) mass.

1. What is polariton mass and why is it important?

Polariton mass is the effective mass of quasiparticles called polaritons, which are a combination of photons and excitons. It is important because it affects the behavior and properties of these particles in solid state systems, and can provide insights into fundamental physics.

2. How is polariton mass measured?

Polariton mass can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoluminescence, time-resolved pump-probe spectroscopy, and polariton dispersion measurements. These methods involve exciting the polaritons and observing their behavior to determine their mass.

3. Can polariton mass be directly measured in all materials?

No, polariton mass can only be directly measured in materials with strong light-matter interactions, such as semiconductors or photonic structures. In other materials, indirect methods may be used to estimate the polariton mass.

4. How does the polariton mass affect the properties of a material?

The polariton mass affects the dispersion relation and energy spectrum of polaritons, leading to changes in their propagation, scattering, and interactions. It also affects the formation of polariton condensates and the behavior of polaritons in external fields.

5. Are there any practical applications of measuring polariton mass?

Yes, measuring polariton mass can have practical applications in the development of new photonic devices and technologies, as well as in studying the behavior of light-matter interactions in novel materials. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of quantum particles and their interactions.