Are light and time somehow intertwined?

In summary: Good point!Ah yes, I forgot about those. Good point!In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between time and light and how they coexist. It is pointed out that light travels at a constant speed and is intertwined with space in a complex triangle. Time is not manipulated in the way described, but rather seems to go slower for objects in motion. The speed of light is not the same as the speed of relativity, and relativity does not depend on light. The c-constant, which represents the speed limit of the universe, cannot be substituted for light. The only other known entity that travels at c is gravitational waves.
Jaami M.
I'm wondering if time and light(entire spectrum) can only coexist simotanuously. When we look out into the cosmos and see stars they can be many light years away. Because it takes time for light to travel. That may have not been relevant. But what I'm saying is... Time is manipulated by the curvature of space time, and the faster you travel to the speed of light your time is manipulated. So does time and light have a relation? Are they completed coherent of each other, needing one another to co-exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, light travels at 299792458 m/s exactly. It has to, because photons are massless (well, that's taking some liberty). The statement brings in space too. I have a hard time (:smile:) imagining one of the three missing. But it's an odd triangle with time and space intertwined and light kind of linking the two.

Time isn't manipulated the way you describe: you don't notice that. What you do notice it that time seems to go slower for things/frames of reference that move relative to you.

Likes Jaami M.
You may find this helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-than-the-speed-of-light.478783/#post-3174586

The c in special relativity should not be thought of as the speed of light.

Jaami M. said:
So does time and light have a relation? Are they completed coherent of each other, needing one another to co-exist?

No. Light depends on relativity, but relativity does not depend on light. Relativity would have exactly the same structure if light didn't exist.

Likes Nugatory and BvU
bcrowell said:
You may find this helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-than-the-speed-of-light.478783/#post-3174586

The c in special relativity should not be thought of as the speed of light.
No. Light depends on relativity, but relativity does not depend on light. Relativity would have exactly the same structure if light didn't exist.
I agree. But, is there anything which qualifies to substitute light for the c-constant? I am hopefully thinking there is.

Legolaz said:
I agree. But, is there anything which qualifies to substitute light for the c-constant? I am hopefully thinking there is.

Not really. Nothing else freely travels vast distances at c other than light.

Drakkith said:
Not really. Nothing else freely travels vast distances at c other than light.

Gravitational waves.

bcrowell said:
Gravitational waves.
Ah yes, I forgot about those.

1. How is light related to time?

Light and time are intertwined through the concept of the speed of light. The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. This means that the speed of light is directly related to the passage of time. As an object moves faster and approaches the speed of light, time for that object slows down. This is known as time dilation and has been proven through experiments and observations in the field of physics.

2. Can light travel through time?

While light is closely related to the concept of time, it is not possible for light to travel through time. Light always travels at a constant speed in a straight line and cannot be accelerated or slowed down. This means that light always moves forward in time and cannot go back in time. However, light can be used to measure time and has been a crucial tool in the development of accurate timekeeping devices.

3. How does light affect the perception of time?

Light plays a crucial role in our perception of time. Our brains process information from our eyes, which receive light signals from our surroundings. These light signals help us understand our environment and keep track of time. Our perception of time can also be affected by the speed of light, as mentioned earlier. For example, when we observe objects moving at high speeds, time may appear to slow down due to time dilation.

4. Is time travel possible with light?

While the concept of time travel is a popular topic in science fiction, it is currently not possible with light. As mentioned earlier, light always moves forward in time and cannot be accelerated or slowed down. Additionally, the energy required for time travel is currently beyond our technological capabilities. However, scientists continue to explore the possibilities of time travel and the role of light in this concept.

5. How does the theory of relativity explain the intertwining of light and time?

Albert Einstein's theory of relativity provides a framework for understanding the relationship between light and time. The theory states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in all inertial frames of reference, meaning that the speed of light is constant for all observers. This theory also explains how the perception of time can vary for different observers depending on their relative speeds and the effects of gravity. Overall, the theory of relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the intertwining of light and time.