Is m(E) Always Less Than or Equal to m(F) for Measurable Subsets E and F?

In summary, you claim that the measure of the intersection of sets equals the sum of the measures of each individual set. However, this does not always hold true.
Oxymoron
I want to prove that if E is a subset of F and both E and F are measurable, then m(E) </= m(F). (where </= is less than or equal to).

Now I figured that I'd use one of the axioms for a measure to prove this, namely

If A_i are measureable and disjoint A_n n A_m = {} for n not equal to m, then

m(U A_i) = sum m(A_i)

(for some reason tex is not working for me anymore.)

But that requires me to form the following collection of sets:

E*_1 = E
E*_2 = F - E
E*_3 = E*_4 = ... = emptyset

to ensure that each E*_i are measureable and disjoint. Unfortunately I have no justification for doing so, only that I've seen it done before. In fact, I am not even sure of how to continue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you said you were choosing your sets so you could invoke a theorem that said

m(U A_i) = sum m(A_i)

So, have you tried computing those?

Well, I can see that

m(U E*_i) = sum m(E*_i) = {}

for i > 3. Is this the kind of thing you mean for me to do?

Wait! What about this:

Let F = E U (F\E). Then m(F) = m(E) + m(F \ E) which implies that

m(E) = m(F) - m(F \ E)

=> m(E) </= m(F)

and m(E) = m(F) when m(F\E) = 0 <=> F = E.

Last edited:
There are non-empty sets of measure zero. Very important ones, like the rational numbers insided the reals.

I have another interesting property of measure. If I have two (not necessarily disjoint) sets, say A and B, then what would m(A)
+ m(B) be? (where m is the the measure).

Would it be:

(1)...m(A) + m(B) = m(A u B)?

But what if A and B overlap? Then the above formula may be too small! Perhaps then, in general,

(2)...m(A) + m(B) = m(A u B) + m(A n B)

But then this could be too large! Since then we would be counting points in the intersection twice! Perhaps it could be then

(3)...m(A) + m(B) = m((A u B)\(A n B)) + m(A n B) = m(A u (B \ A)) + m(A n B)

Unfortunately, I am told that the correct one, in general is (2), not (3) :(

I can see that (1) would be correct if A and B are disjoint. But I don't see why (2) is the correct representation of the sum of measures. So I tried proving it. But I can only see it working if m(A n B) = 0, i.e. somehow the measure of two overlapping sets is zero.

Last edited:
Oxymoron said:
(2)...m(A) + m(B) = m(A u B) + m(A n B)

But then this could be too large! Since then we would be counting points in the intersection twice!

This is why the measure of the intersection is subtracted, i.e., (2) rearranged is

m(A u B) = m(A) + m(B) - m(A n B).

Perhaps it could be then

(3)...m(A) + m(B) = m((A u B)\(A n B)) + m(A n B) = m(A u (B \ A)) + m(A n B)

Unfortunately, I am told that the correct one, in general is (2), not (3) :(

(2) and (3) say the same thing, since

A u (B\A) = A u (B n A^c) = (A u B) n (A u A^c) = A u B.

I find that it helps to look at Venn diargrams.

Well, my definition of measure says that the measure of the union of sets equals the sum of the measures of each individual set:

m(A u B) = m(A) u m(B)

nowhere does it require that you must subtract the intersection. Could you explain why this is?

Let's back up a bit. (3) implies that

m((A u B)\(A n B)) = m(A u (B \ A)),

but this doesn't look right to me.

Take A=B to see where your definition is wrong (assuming you actually meant a + on the RHS and not u which is just an easy to make oversight). (your definition works for disjoint sets. and it is easy to write the union of two sets as the union of disjoint sets as above.)

Related to Is m(E) Always Less Than or Equal to m(F) for Measurable Subsets E and F?

1. What is the definition of basic measure properties?

The basic measure properties refer to the fundamental properties that govern the measurement of different objects or quantities. These properties include length, area, volume, and mass.

2. Why is it important to prove basic measure properties?

Proving basic measure properties is important because it allows us to establish a standard and accurate system for measuring different objects or quantities. It ensures that measurements are consistent and can be compared across different contexts.

3. How do you prove basic measure properties?

Basic measure properties can be proven using mathematical principles and formulas. For instance, the length of an object can be measured using a ruler and compared to a known standard unit of measurement such as meters or inches. This can then be used to prove the basic property of length.

4. What are some common mistakes made when proving basic measure properties?

One common mistake is using inaccurate or inconsistent units of measurement, which can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is not accounting for factors such as curvature or irregular shapes when measuring length or area. It is important to be precise and thorough when proving basic measure properties.

5. How are basic measure properties used in scientific research?

Basic measure properties are integral to scientific research as they provide a standard framework for collecting and analyzing data. They allow for accurate and precise measurements to be taken, which is crucial in conducting experiments and drawing conclusions. Additionally, basic measure properties help to ensure the validity and reproducibility of research findings.