Is my equation for finding equidistant points correct?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to describe and create an equation for a locus of points that are equidistant from two given points. The equation is found by setting the distance formula for two different points equal to each other. After some calculation, the final equation is determined to be 6x-2y+14=0. The conversation also mentions that the locus should be a line passing through the midpoint of the line joining the given points and perpendicular to it. To verify this, one can compare the slopes of the two lines and determine if they are negative reciprocals.
aisha
Here is the question I think I've almost got the answer. Describe and create an equation for each locus.

a.) THe points are equidistant from points A(1,5) and B(-2,6)

I made another random point C(x,y)

AC=BC

I wrote the distance formula for both AC and BC and set them equal to each other but I am not sure how to simplify now

square root[(x+2)^2 +(y-6)^2] = square root[(x-1)^2+(y-5)^2]

I square both sides to get rid of the square root but after that i don't know what to do I got a final answer of 6x-2y+13=0 please tell me is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost, just a small arithmetic error. It should be 6x-2y+14=0
Geometrically you can see it should be a line. Moreover, it should pass through the midpoint of the line joining the points A and B and be perpendicular to it.
Check that the line indeed satisfies these conditions.

Galileo said:
Almost, just a small arithmetic error. It should be 6x-2y+14=0
Geometrically you can see it should be a line. Moreover, it should pass through the midpoint of the line joining the points A and B and be perpendicular to it.
Check that the line indeed satisfies these conditions.

I got the equation but now I have to do the describing part how do I describe the locus? How will I check that the line is indeed perpendicular to points A and B?

It's not perpendicular to the "points" A and B. How can you be perpendicular to a point? :smile: The locus should be perpendicular to the line joining A and B, and to verify this, compare the slopes of the two lines. What can you say immediately about the slopes of two lines if they are perpendicular?

oh the slope will be a negative reciprocal then ill know if it is perpendicular thanks for pointing that out lol ur right you can't be perpendicular to a point opps lol. :rofl:

1. How do I know if my locus equation is correct?

The best way to determine if your locus equation is correct is to compare it to the data you have collected. If the equation accurately describes the data points, then it is likely correct.

2. What are the common mistakes when creating a locus equation?

Some common mistakes when creating a locus equation include using incorrect data points, not considering all the variables that may affect the outcome, and not properly accounting for any experimental errors.

3. How can I validate my locus equation?

To validate your locus equation, you can perform additional experiments and compare the results to the predicted values from the equation. You can also seek feedback from other scientists in the field and see if they can replicate your results using the same equation.

4. Can I use a locus equation for all types of data?

No, a locus equation is typically used for data that follows a specific pattern or relationship. It may not be suitable for all types of data, such as random or non-linear data.

5. Are there any software tools available to create a locus equation?

Yes, there are various software tools available that can help you create a locus equation, such as Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, or R. These tools allow you to input your data and perform mathematical calculations to generate an equation. However, it is important to validate the equation before using it for any further analysis.