Is My Vector Equation for a Plane Correct Without a Diagram?

In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric and non-parametric forms of a vector equation and how they relate to the given problem. The solution in photo 1 is similar to the one in photo 2, and the vectors connecting A to B and A to C are used to find the position vector of an arbitrary point on the plane. The conversation also clarifies the concept of parallel vectors and how they relate to a plane.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

for this question (photo 1), i am not sure whether this is type 1 (as the type in photo 2) or type 2 ( as in photo 3 ). the question didnt provide a diagram, this is making me confused. so i did it another way on the right , (using pencil ). is my working acceptable ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0001~7[1].jpg
    DSC_0001~7[1].jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC_0001~8[1].jpg
    DSC_0001~8[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC00130~2[1].jpg
    DSC00130~2[1].jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector equation can be in parametric or non-parametric form. In the third picture, the first vector form is the parametric one, while the second form, with a normal vector and a distance, is the non-parametric form. So I would guess (a) is asking for the n, d form.

You are supposed to draw a picture to your solution!
Sorry I can not decipher your pencilled note.

The parametric form of a plane uses two vectors in the plane (##\vec b## and ##\vec c##) , and a point of the plane (A, its position vector is ##\vec a##). The position vector ##\vec r## of an arbitrary point R of the plane is obtained as the sum [tex]\vec r = \vec a +μ \vec b + λ \vec c[/tex]
In the problem, A, B, C mean points of the plane, with position vectors (1,1,4), (3,0,-1) and (2,-2,0). Vectors connecting A to B and A to C ##, \vec b=\vec{AB}## and ##\vec c=\vec{AC}##, lie in the plane. You have to add their linear combination to the vector ##\vec a = (1,1,4)##

The solution in photo 1 is like in photo 2, only Q stands for B and P stands for C.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:

The parametric form of a plane uses two vectors in the plane (##\vec b## and ##\vec c##) , and a point of the plane (A, its position vector is ##\vec a##). The position vector ##\vec r## of an arbitrary point R of the plane is obtained as the sum [tex]\vec r = \vec a +μ \vec b + λ \vec c[/tex]
In the problem, A, B, C mean points of the plane, with position vectors (1,1,4), (3,0,-1) and (2,-2,0). Vectors connecting A to B and A to C ##, \vec b=\vec{AB}## and ##\vec c=\vec{AC}##, lie in the plane. You have to add their linear combination to the vector ##\vec a = (1,1,4)##

The solution in photo 1 is like in photo 2, only Q stands for B and P stands for C.

ehild

how do we know that a is connected to b and b is connected to c ? or a is connected to b and a is connected to c? in photo 3 , a is connected to b and b is connected to c.. that's why I'm wondering whether i can apply the same concept for the question in photo 1.

ehild said:

ehild
sorry , for photo 2, i can't understand how can the plane is parallel to vector b and vector c .. can you draw me a better diagram. i can't imagine

b and c are vectors lying in the plane. A vector is parallel with a plane if all its points are at the same distance from the plane. It the line lies in the plane, all points are at zero distance of the plane. So the line is parallel with the plane.

ehild

Related to Is My Vector Equation for a Plane Correct Without a Diagram?

What is a vector equation of a plane?

A vector equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a plane in three-dimensional space using vectors. It is written in the form of r = r0 + sa + tb, where r represents any point on the plane, r0 is a specific point on the plane, and s and t are scalar parameters.

How is a vector equation of a plane different from a standard equation of a plane?

A vector equation of a plane is different from a standard equation of a plane in that it uses vectors to represent the plane instead of just variables and constants. This allows for more flexibility and a clearer understanding of the orientation and position of the plane in space.

What information is needed to write a vector equation of a plane?

To write a vector equation of a plane, you need the coordinates of a specific point on the plane, as well as the direction vectors that determine the orientation of the plane. These direction vectors can be calculated using the cross product of two non-parallel vectors that lie on the plane.

How is a vector equation of a plane used in real-life applications?

Vector equations of planes are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They can be used to determine the position and orientation of a plane in space, which is important in designing and constructing structures and objects. They are also used in computer graphics to create three-dimensional objects and scenes.

What are the advantages of using a vector equation of a plane over other forms of equations?

Vector equations of planes offer several advantages over other forms of equations. They provide a more intuitive understanding of the orientation and position of the plane in three-dimensional space. They also allow for easier manipulation and calculation of the plane's properties, such as finding the intersection with other planes or lines. Additionally, they are useful in applications where precise spatial information is needed, such as in navigation or mapping.