Is sin convergent or divergent

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether cos and sin are divergent or convergent. The speaker is getting mixed results from different sources and is unsure of when these functions approach a number or diverge. The expert suggests that the terms "convergence" and "divergence" do not apply to functions, but rather to sequences or series of numbers or functions. The speaker then asks for clarification on the limits of sin(x) and cos(x) as x approaches infinity, to which the expert confirms that they do not exist. Finally, the speaker requests for a specific example from their textbook.
trumpetplaya1687
I just have a quick question, is cos and sin divergent or convergent? I keep getting mixed results from different sources. I know that both functions oscillate so on the interval [0, infinity) they both diverge. But for some of my homework problems relating to improper integrals, the book says that both functions approach some number. I need some guidance as to when both functions approach a number and when they both are divergent. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The words "convergence" and "divergence" simply do not apply to functions- they apply go sequences or series of numbers or functions.

I think you are trying to ask if [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} cos(x)[/itex] exist. You are correct that those limits do not exist.

Could you please post the exact example your text gives?

Related to Is sin convergent or divergent

What is the definition of "convergent" and "divergent" in regards to sin?

Convergent and divergent are terms used in calculus to describe the behavior of a series, such as the sine function, as the number of terms increases. A convergent series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series does not have a finite limit and may either approach infinity or oscillate between values.

Is the series for sin(x) convergent or divergent?

The series for sin(x) is divergent. As the number of terms increases, the values of the series oscillate between -1 and 1, and do not approach a finite limit.

What is the significance of determining if sin(x) is convergent or divergent?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the sine function, is important in understanding the behavior and properties of the function. It can also help in solving problems and making predictions in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How is the convergence or divergence of sin(x) determined?

The convergence or divergence of a series is determined by using mathematical tests, such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and determine if it has a finite limit or not.

Can the convergence or divergence of sin(x) change for different values of x?

Yes, the convergence or divergence of a series can change for different values of x. For example, the series for sin(x) may be convergent for some values of x and divergent for others. This is because the behavior of the series is dependent on the value of x and how it affects the terms of the series.