1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is sin convergent or divergent

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    I just have a quick question, is cos and sin divergent or convergent? I keep getting mixed results from different sources. I know that both functions oscillate so on the interval [0, infinity) they both diverge. But for some of my homework problems relating to improper integrals, the book says that both functions approach some number. I need some guidance as to when both functions approach a number and when they both are divergent. Please help.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The words "convergence" and "divergence" simply do not apply to functions- they apply go sequences or series of numbers or functions.

I think you are trying to ask if [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} cos(x)[/itex] exist. You are correct that those limits do not exist.

Could you please post the exact example your text gives?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?