Is the Big Collapse a Black Hole?

In summary, the "closed" Friedmann model predicts a Big Bang in the past and a Big Collapse in the future. The Big Bang singularity is different from a Black Hole singularity. The collapsing Friedmann model is not symmetric with regards to time reversal and the Big Collapse does not look like the Big Bang played backwards. The black hole singularity is a spacelike surface and unlike the big crunch singularity, it is only in the future of worldlines passing inside the event horizon. The Kerr singularity is timelike and can be bypassed, but it is unknown whether a more realistic collapse in classical GR produces a timelike or spacelike singularity.
haael
In the "closed" Friedmann model, there is a Big Bang in the past and Big Collapse in the future. Big Bang singularity is something different than a Black Hole singularity.

Now my question: is the Big Collapse singularity mathematically equivalent to a Black Hole (localized) singularity, or is it rather a non-localized singularity like a Big Bang one? Or maybe something else?

My another question: in the "closed" collapsing Friedmann model the Universe becomes smaller at some point. From QM we know that we can not stuff infinite information in finite region. Would it mean that time would need to move, uhm, backwards near the end of the collapsing Universe? The information will need to disappear as different states would need to evolve into the same state, since there's no room to hold their information.

My real question is: is the collapsing Friedmann model symmetric with regards to time reversal? Does the Big Collapse look just like the Big Bang played backwards?

Space news on Phys.org
haael said:
is the Big Collapse singularity mathematically equivalent to a Black Hole (localized) singularity, or is it rather a non-localized singularity like a Big Bang one?

It's the time reverse of the Big Bang; it is not a black hole.

haael said:
in the "closed" collapsing Friedmann model the Universe becomes smaller at some point. From QM we know that we can not stuff infinite information in finite region.

The closed collapsing FRW model is a classical model, not a quantum model. In a classical model you *can* "stuff infinite information in a finite region".

I'm not sure how much work has been done in trying to construct a quantum model of a closed collapsing universe.

haael said:
is the collapsing Friedmann model symmetric with regards to time reversal? Does the Big Collapse look just like the Big Bang played backwards?

Yes, in the sense given in my first response above.

In what sense do you think black hole singularities are "local"? Like the big bang singularity, the Schwarzshchild black hole singularity is a spacelike surface. The difference between these two is simply that the big bang singularity occurred in the past (past-spacelike) while the black hole singularity occurs to the future of worldlines moving across the event horizon (future-spacelike). In these terms, the big crunch singularity is future-spacelike.

bapowell said:
the black hole singularity occurs to the future of worldlines moving across the event horizon (future-spacelike). In these terms, the big crunch singularity is future-spacelike.

Yes, but unlike the black hole singularity, the big crunch singularity is in the future of *all* worldlines in the spacetime, not just the ones that pass inside the event horizon. I assumed that that was what the OP meant by the black hole being "local".

OK. My concern is that the OP was considering the black hole singularity to be localized in space.

bapowell said:
OK. My concern is that the OP was considering the black hole singularity to be localized in space.

Well, it's worth noting the Kerr singularity is timelike rather than spacelike, thus localized, and can be bypassed. It is, of course, unknown whether a more realistic (not perfectly axisymmetric) collapse in classical GR produces a timelike or spacelike singularity (so far as I know, this is one of the remaining open questions in GR).

Related to Is the Big Collapse a Black Hole?

1. What is the Big Collapse?

The Big Collapse, also known as the Big Crunch, is a hypothetical scenario in which the universe stops expanding and begins to contract under the influence of gravity. This would eventually lead to all matter and energy in the universe collapsing into a single point, similar to the beginning of the universe in the Big Bang theory.

2. Is the Big Collapse the same as a Black Hole?

No, the Big Collapse and Black Holes are two distinct phenomena. While both involve the collapse of matter under the influence of gravity, a Black Hole is a localized region of spacetime with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape it. The Big Collapse, on the other hand, would involve the entire universe collapsing.

3. Can the Big Collapse actually happen?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the Big Collapse will occur. In fact, recent observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, making the Big Collapse less likely. However, it is still a possibility that is being studied by scientists.

4. What would happen to us if the Big Collapse occurred?

If the Big Collapse were to occur, it would likely take billions of years to happen. By that time, it is possible that humanity would have evolved or even gone extinct. It is also possible that we could find a way to prevent or survive the collapse, but it is purely speculative at this point.

5. Is there any evidence for a Big Collapse in the past?

The concept of the Big Collapse was first proposed as a theoretical possibility in the early 20th century. However, there is currently no observational evidence to support it. In fact, current evidence suggests that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, making the Big Collapse less likely to have occurred in the past.