Is the resolution of ibuprofen with pyrrolidine, C4H9N, possible?

• Thread starter ochemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of pyrrolidine, a cyclic secondary amine, as a resolving agent for the racemic mixture of ibuprofen. The question at hand is whether pyrrolidine, which has a five-membered heterocycle containing four carbon atoms and one nitrogen atom, is chiral or achiral. The use of a chiral molecule is necessary for resolving a racemic mixture, and it is unclear if pyrrolidine meets this requirement. The conversation also mentions that ibuprofen is a chiral carboxylic acid and provides a reference image for pyrrolidine and the resolution of ibuprofen with a chiral base.
ochemstudent

Homework Statement

Hi! I'm doing a problem that asks whether pyrrolidine, C4H9N, could be used to resolve the racemic mixture of ibuprofen. In the correct resolution, we use the chiral base (S)-(-)-α-phenylethylamine as a resolving agent. In this question, it asks whether the base pyrrolidine could be used.

For reference, pyrrolidine looks like this!
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webproject...lidine-s-o.gif

and the resolution of ibuprofen with (S)-(-)-α-phenylethylamine looks like this: (it's the second image down): http://amcrasto.theeurekamoments.com/2012/07/29/isolation-of-optically-pure-s-ibuprofen/

Homework Equations

Ibuprofen is a chiral carboxlyic acid. Pyrrolidine is a cyclic secondary amine with a five-membered heterocycle containing four carbon atoms and one nitrogen atom.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that this has something to do with whether pyrrolidine is chiral or achiral. I know that it if it is achiral then it would not be able to resolve the racemic mixture because it would produce identical S and R forms as we started with therefore it would not be useful. To resolve a mixture, a chiral molecule must be used. The trouble is I don't know whether or not pyrrolidine is achiral or chiral. Also, if it turns out to be chiral, then I really have no idea how to tell if pyrrolidine could be used or not! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to determine if a compound is chiral or not?

What is the chemical formula for ibuprofen?

The chemical formula for ibuprofen is C13H18O2.

What is the purpose of using pyrrolidine in the resolution of ibuprofen?

Pyrrolidine is used as a resolving agent in the resolution of ibuprofen to separate its enantiomers, or mirror-image molecules.

What is the process of resolving ibuprofen with pyrrolidine?

The process involves mixing the racemic mixture of ibuprofen with pyrrolidine, which reacts with one enantiomer to form a salt that can be separated from the remaining enantiomer. The separated enantiomers can then be converted back into the original ibuprofen molecule, resulting in a pure chiral form.

Is the resolution of ibuprofen with pyrrolidine a common practice?

No, the use of pyrrolidine as a resolving agent for ibuprofen is not a common practice. Other resolving agents, such as tartaric acid or cinchona alkaloids, are more commonly used.

What are the advantages of resolving ibuprofen with pyrrolidine?

The use of pyrrolidine in the resolution of ibuprofen allows for the production of pure enantiomers, which may have different biological activities. This can be useful in developing more effective drugs with fewer side effects.