Is the use of remote access software viable?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary:
Concern about security issues related to programs that allow/provide remote access. Thinking mostly about the likes of RDP and Team Viewer 12
Hi,
The issue of granting/using remote access to a computer came about today re the topic of RDP ( Remote Desk Protocol) and Team Viewer. Obviously some security measures are needed to prevent 3rd party access . Any comments on the level of security needed for a stand alone PC? How about for add ins that provide the remote access but are not the actual RDP?
Edit: I also am considering whether its worthwhile shelling out some extra money for Windows Office ( instead of home) since office includes RDP while home does not. I am considering using it as a client.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Many corporations routinely use remote desktop software like RDP or VNC. If proper security protocols are followed it would be difficult to crack them.

As an example, some companies have an airgapped internal network and use remote desktop sw to access external company computers connected to the internet.

If your not really a techy then Teamviewer may be the easier path to follow. RDP required an inbound connection from the internet and depending on how you configure this at the router's end, you may be unwittingly opening up your home computer to more than you bargained for.

Teamveiwer does not need an inbound connection I believe. It forms an outbound connection to Teamviewer's network and when you connect you do so via Teamviwer's network so you do not need to change anything on your router configuration. Teamviewer when installed properly and not just run in portable mode starts with your computer so you can restart the computer remotely and re-connect to it afterwards.

If your technically minded I would configure a VPN on your home router and VPN into your home network. From there you could just open a regular RDP connection to your home computer, that's the way I do it.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
RDP is typically used with a VPN.
We've used TeamViewer when we've had customer owned equipment on-site and needed a way for their engineers to access it; our IT department (which are very security conscious) seemed to be happy with this solution as long as the customer's equipment was connected to our "guest" network,

harborsparrow
Gold Member
Remote Desktop and VPN. Remote client may need to know IP of PC on remote LAN. Also, the remote user's Windows account must specifically be given permission on that PC for remoting in.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you all. Is Team Viewer as bad as Ive heard in terms of security gaps?