Is There a max temperature? My question about it.

In summary, relativistic gases have an upper limit to their temperature. Beyond that point, particle collisions become so intense that they start to undergo fusion reactions.
EU_Raider
Through school I have been told That temperature has no limit, that it is infinite.

I am also told that a particle cannot exceed the speed of light.

Yet again Temperature has an effect on the speed of a particle therefore there must be a maximum temperature otherwise we would exceed the speed of light.

Using the Equation V^2=3RT/Molar Mass taking R as 9.1x10^-7 also taking the particle proton(or Neutron) for the Molar Mass

I got an answer but I was wondering is my statement correct or is there some laws or rules which I am not aware of?

Science news on Phys.org
Since the temperature(of an ideal gas at least) is proportional to the mean kinetic energy of its molecules(as in, it doesn't make them go faster - the whole idea of temperature is just a way of saying how energetic they are, on average), and kinetic energy is a product of velocity and mass, then I suppose as the velocity approaches c, the mass approaches infinity, netting infinite temperature.

It's just a guess, though. Don't take my word for it.

As your temperature increase you would eventually ionize the material and turn it into a plasma. Beyond that you would get particle collision so intense that particle collisions would start to undergo fusion reactions. Beyond that and the collisions would be akin to a particle collider, and would start to produce showers of particles created from the kinetic energy of each parent particle. We don't know of an end to this so you could probably keep going on forever. Keep in mind that while the speed of light is not reachable, you CAN continue to increase your average kinetic energy forever to any value theoretically. You just don't ever reach c.

You may want to check how relativistic mass depends on the speed, that will answer your question. Google for Lorentz factor.

EU_Raider said:
Through school I have been told That temperature has no limit, that it is infinite.

I am also told that a particle cannot exceed the speed of light.

Yet again Temperature has an effect on the speed of a particle therefore there must be a maximum temperature otherwise we would exceed the speed of light.

Using the Equation V^2=3RT/Molar Mass taking R as 9.1x10^-7 also taking the particle proton(or Neutron) for the Molar Mass

I got an answer but I was wondering is my statement correct or is there some laws or rules which I am not aware of?

There has been some work done on relativistic gases in statistical physics, but my knowledge of the subject is rusty. I'll read up on it and see if I can get back to you. :)

I think the highest temperature was when the big bang happened, since there is finite energy in the universe, there is a finite temperature that there ever was, but I guess theoretically there is no limit to temperature?

Very high temperature is usually mostly in radiation, not matter, to which the formula used does not apply.

1. What is the maximum temperature that can be reached?

The maximum temperature that can be reached depends on various factors such as the type of material, atmospheric pressure, and the presence of other substances. However, the theoretical maximum temperature is known as the Planck temperature, which is approximately 1.42 x 10^32 Kelvin.

2. Is there a maximum temperature that can cause matter to disintegrate?

Yes, there is a maximum temperature at which matter can disintegrate. This temperature is known as the Hagedorn temperature, which is approximately 2.4 x 10^32 Kelvin. At this temperature, the strong nuclear force is overcome, causing the protons and neutrons in an atom to break down into a quark-gluon plasma.

3. Can humans survive at extremely high temperatures?

Humans have a limited tolerance to temperature, and it varies from person to person. The highest recorded human body temperature is 115 degrees Fahrenheit, which is considered a life-threatening condition. However, with the help of protective gear and advanced technology, humans can withstand higher temperatures for a short period of time.

4. Is there a limit to how hot a flame can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how hot a flame can be. The temperature of a flame depends on the type of fuel and the amount of oxygen present. The hottest flame produced by a chemical reaction is approximately 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit, which is produced by burning thermite.

5. Can matter exist at temperatures higher than the Planck temperature?

It is currently unknown if matter can exist at temperatures higher than the Planck temperature. At this temperature, the laws of physics, as we know them, break down, and our current understanding of matter and energy becomes obsolete. Some theories suggest that a new form of matter may exist at these extreme temperatures, but it has yet to be proven.