Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there such a thing as at rest ?

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    Is there such a thing as "at rest"?

I've been watching some lectures on relativity from a professor at Berkley and he brings up the central idea of the "reference frame" relative to being in motion or "at rest".

He says that if I were to ask you if you were currently in motion or at rest, some of you could say "Yes, I'm at rest" whereas others could say "I'm moving at the same velocity of the Earth" and both of these would be true.

If you put me in a car, and spray paint the windows black so its pitch dark in the vehicle, then drive around, I can certainly feel that I'm not at rest, but I can't exactly prove it.

Regardless of your reference frame isn't the passing of the day to night (given what we now know about the universe around us) absolute proof that there is no "at rest" no matter my reference frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Re: Is there such a thing as "at rest"?

You'll only feel it when the car accelerates (changes speed or direction, which results in G-forces felt inside), even small accelerations from bumps in the road. The equivalence between reference frames in special relativity is only between inertial (non-accelerating) frames. If one person is on a ship in deep space that's at rest relative to the solar system, and the other is on a ship in deep space moving at a constant velocity of 0.9c relative to the first one, both will feel totally weightless, and as long as their windows are blacked out they'll have no way to tell which ship they're on.
    If you're on the surface of the Earth, you aren't really moving inertially since you're going in a circle. Inertial motion is either going in a straight line at constant speed through a region of spacetime that's not curved (and gravity curves spacetime in general relativity, so you'd have to be in deep space for this to be approximately true), or it's the motion of a freefalling observer in a gravitational field for a very brief period of time and in a small region of space, what's known as a "locally" inertial frame since the laws of physics here look identical to those seen by an inertial observer in the uncurved spacetime of special relativity (see the http://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlights/equivalence_principle/index.html [Broken] of general relativity).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making several mistakes.
    If I put you in a blinded car and drive you around, you can feel that you are not at rest, because the car is accelerating (when it speeds up or slows down, and when it turns off). If this is the case, then you can even prove it. For example, you can hang a small ball of a rope on the ceiling of the car. When there is an acceleration, you can measure the angle of the rope with respect to the vertical axis and calculate the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

In the passing of day and night, you are first of all accelerating, because the earth is rotating around it's axis, and around the sun, etc. Secondly, the notion of being "at rest" here depends on an outside reference frame (namely, for example, stars very far away which are approximately fixed).

You need to carefully apply the axioms of special relativity. In particular: in the absence of fixed reference points, any two observers which are moving at constant velocity with respect to each other, are equivalent.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

I guess to simplify my question:

Is there ANYTHING in the universe that isn't in motion?

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5

JesseM

Science Advisor

In relativity there is no objective truth about whether something is "in motion" or "at rest", it just depends on your choice of reference frame, and all inertial reference frames are considered equally valid.

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is very hard (if not impossible) to find a non-accelerating frame of reference on earth. The earth rotates around the sun, the solar system around the center of our galaxy, our galaxy ...

However, this issue already arises in classical mechanics -- just as in special relativity we usually just assume that our reference system is "sufficiently" non-accelerating. Depending on what you are calculating though, you need to be careful (for example, in meteorology, the rotation of the Earth provides the Coriolis effect and is therefore not negligible).
    But as I said this is not specifically related to special relativity and the questions from your earlier post.

8. Feb 28, 2009 #7

They have already answered you, however I only add: to be "in motion" is not an intrinsic property of a system, because you can only say that you are or you are not in motion with respect to something else. So, yes, I can say that I'm not in motion with respect to my room, for example.
    Instead, to say that you are or you are not in motion in an absolute sense, you should need to have a preferential frame of reference in all the universe. Maybe we could say that such a frame exist and it's the CMBR (cosmic microwave background radiation), but I would probably be speculating, so I let this subject to someone else more aknowledged than me, in case.

9. Mar 1, 2009 #8

If I place a hand grenade on the pavement, pull the pin, and get behind something safe, when it explodes, EVERYTHING in that package that was once "at rest" is now "in motion".

If we are to ascribe to the theory that this whole universe exploded into existance from a singularity, then we HAVE to agree that there is absolutely nothing in this universe that is at rest. I don't understand how anything can be debated when it comes to this...maybe I'm being short sighted.

10. Mar 1, 2009 #9

JesseM

Science Advisor

"In motion" relative to the ground, but not in any absolute sense. And suppose some pieces fly out at, say, 200 mph...that means that if the grenade was riding in a plane traveling 200 mph relative to the ground, than a piece flung off in the opposite direction as the plane's direction of motion relative to the ground might now be at rest relative to the ground. Again, the point is that there is no physical way to make sense of the terms "in motion" or "at rest" except relative to something else like the ground.
    The idea of the Big Bang is not an explosion at a distinct point in some preexisting space...see my post #10 here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  11. Mar 1, 2009 #10

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, because a force was exerted and everything has accelerated. However, suppose that you had a temporary blackout during the explosion. When you wake up looking up, and you see something flying by with a constant velocity, you cannot tell whether that object is in motion and you are at rest or vice versa. You need to verify that you are lying still with respect to the floor to recover your intuition.

Did you ever sit in a train on a station with another train right beside it? When you look out the window and you see yourself moving past the other train you would swear that it is your train moving. You can even convince yourself that you are feeling a small acceleration sometimes. Only when one of the trains is accelerating noticably and/or you can see the platform of the station, you can say whether you are moving or the other train...

Nobody is debating that there is anything absolutely at rest... the whole point is that we can only talk about objects at rest relative to ... (us, the CMB, the room, etc).

12. Mar 2, 2009 #11

To see the universe exploding and the pieces moving off, you MUST be in a space outside the universe. But this is not possible, since SPACE itself (and time too) were created with the Big Bang and the universe.

13. Mar 2, 2009 #12

It really just sounds like "Sorry, this is the BEST we can do".

It doesn't make it right, it makes it the only thing we've come up with thus far.

14. Mar 2, 2009 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Pity that the universe doesn't seem to work the way you would prefer. It is what it is, I'm afraid.

15. Mar 2, 2009 #14

It is, indeed, impossible to logically conclude that any entity is motionless. The confusion and debate comes from the lack of a clear, unambiguous definition of "motion".

Motion: Two or more locations of an object.
    Location: The set of distances from an object to every other object in the universe.
    Object: That which has shape.

To avoid circularity the "that" in the definition of object does not refer to an object. It is a "wildcard" for the name of whatever we are stating has shape. "Apple has shape", therefore it fulfills the definition of "object".

Now, one can see why it is impossible to conclude that s/he is motionless nor that any other entity is motionless.

16. Mar 2, 2009 #15

atyy

Science Advisor

What is "distance"?

17. Mar 2, 2009 #16

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the problem is not so much in the way the principle of relativity works, just in your failure to consider things objectively and letting go of your intuition.
    That's not your fault though, changing how we think about things that we see in everyday life and that are so built into us, takes time and practice.

18. Mar 2, 2009 #17

Mentz114

Gold Member

Altonhare:
    Relative motion - can be unambiguously defined.
    Absolute motion - cannot be defined.

It is necessary to further refine the concept of motion, that's all.

19. Mar 2, 2009 #18

The gap or separation between two objects.

[QUOTE="Mentz114]Relative motion - can be unambiguously defined.
    Absolute motion - cannot be defined.

It is necessary to further refine the concept of motion, that's all.
    [/quote]

I just defined absolute motion, justify your claim that it "cannot be defined".

20. Mar 2, 2009 #19

Mentz114

Gold Member

altonhare:
    Where ? I don't see it.

21. Mar 2, 2009 #20

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Errr, wait... is this a special relativity or a philosophy thread?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook