Is this a valid parametrisation of a curve?

• Thread starter rickonstark999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: But @rickonstark999, you do understand that your first post above is correct and your parameterization ##x=t^2,~y=4t## with ##t## both positive and negative, ie ##-\infty < t < \infty## is a correct parameterization of your curve, right? You don't need any ##\pm## sign.Yes, I understand that my parameterization is correct.Yes, I understand that my parameterization is correct.
rickonstark999
Member warned that the homework template is required
Hi, so I am learning how to parametrise curves.

For the curve y^2=16x, I have said let x=t^2. Then, we can say y^2=16t^2, so that we can take the root of this and get y=4t. What I wanted to ask was do we have to say "plus or minus" in front of the 4t, or do we just leave it as positive to get a valid parametrisation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rickonstark999 said:

For the curve y^2=16x, I have said let x=t^2. Then, we can say y^2=16t^2, so that we can take the root of this and get y=4t. What I wanted to ask was do we have to say "plus or minus" in front of the 4t, or do we just leave it as positive to get a valid parametrisation?

Thanks.
The question to ask is what values can ##t## take?

rickonstark999 said:

Thanks.

Is ##y## allowed to be ##<0## along the curve? Is ##t < 0## allowed?

Ray Vickson said:
Is ##y## allowed to be ##<0## along the curve? Is ##t < 0## allowed?

I suppose so? The question doesn't specify so I am not sure.

rickonstark999 said:
I suppose so? The question doesn't specify so I am not sure.

How would you draw a graph of the relation ##x = \frac{1}{16} y^2##?

Ray Vickson said:
How would you draw a graph of the relation ##x = \frac{1}{16} y^2##?

You would have a sideways parabola where y can be any real number, but x cannot be below 0 because you are squaring.

rickonstark999 said:
You would have a sideways parabola where y can be any real number, but x cannot be below 0 because you are squaring.

OK, so now what does that tell you about ##t## in your parametrization?

Ray Vickson said:
OK, so now what does that tell you about ##t## in your parametrization?

From my parametrisations, t can be both positive and negative. Would you say that is correct?

rickonstark999 said:
Then, we can say y^2=16t^2, so that we can take the root of this and get y=4t.
No, that isn't right. If ##y^2 = 16t^2##, then ##y = \pm 4t##.

Mark44 said:

Thank you. That is what I was asking in the sentence after that.

rickonstark999 said:
From my parametrisations, t can be both positive and negative. Would you say that is correct?

Mark44 said:

rickonstark999 said:
Thank you. That is what I was asking in the sentence after that.

But @rickonstark999, you do understand that your first post above is correct and your parameterization ##x=t^2,~y=4t## with ##t## both positive and negative, ie ##-\infty < t < \infty## is a correct parameterization of your curve, right? You don't need any ##\pm## sign.

Likes PeroK

1. What is a parametrisation of a curve?

A parametrisation of a curve is a way of representing a curve using a set of equations or parameters. It allows us to describe the movement and shape of a curve in a systematic way.

2. Why is it important to have a valid parametrisation of a curve?

A valid parametrisation of a curve is important because it helps us to understand and analyze the behaviour of the curve. It also allows us to perform calculations and make predictions about the curve's properties.

3. How can I determine if a parametrisation is valid?

A parametrisation is considered valid if it meets certain criteria, such as being continuous, differentiable, and covering the entire curve. To determine if a parametrisation is valid, you can check if it satisfies these conditions.

4. What are some common mistakes when parametrising a curve?

Some common mistakes when parametrising a curve include not covering the entire curve, having discontinuous or non-differentiable parts, and using incorrect equations or parameters. It is important to double check the parametrisation to ensure it accurately represents the curve.

5. Can a curve have multiple valid parametrisations?

Yes, a curve can have multiple valid parametrisations. However, some parametrisations may be more useful or convenient for certain applications than others. It is important to choose a parametrisation that best suits the purpose and analysis of the curve.