Is this integral solvable using integration by parts?

• Thread starter PICsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is that the student is not able to find the integral for those limits. They use parts to get it solved, but they get an error function term that just equals \sqrt{\pi}, a term that goes to zero and another term that is, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2e^{-u^2}duwhich they are having trouble solving.
PICsmith
This should be a fairly simple integral but I can't get it for some reason. Here's the problem:
[tex]A\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]
Now I know that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]
only for those limits.
Okay so I do parts,
[tex]u=x[/tex]
[tex]du=dx[/tex]
[tex]dv=e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]
[tex]v=?[/tex]
When you evaluate the integral from dv to get v, you substitue say
[tex]s=\sqrt{\lambda}(x-a)[/tex]
to make it like the second integral i put down, but you can't evaluate it between the limits of -infinity to infinity when doing parts right? And the indefinite integral of this form is not solvable as far as I know.

BTW, This is for my QM class, finding the average/expectation value of x,
[tex]<x>[/tex]

Am I even going about this the right way? I don't know anymore. Please tell me where I screwed up and point me in the right direction. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint :

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2} = -2xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

Use a substitution to get the integrand to a form like the above. You'll still have a term that needs the error function, but you already know how to handle that.

Awesome, I got it!
Much thanks Curious :D

No problem, glad to help. :smile:

doh!

I'm stuck again

Okay, so I found <x> and now I have to find <x^2>, which gives,
[tex]A\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]
I made the same substitution that I made last time, namely,
[tex]u=\sqrt{\lambda}(x-a)[/tex]
which gives me a error function term that just equals [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex], a term that goes to zero and another term that is,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
and I'm having trouble solving this now.

Is there another substitution that I should have made initially? I couldn't find one. I swear this is the last time I'll need help :biggrin:. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HerrSchlauberger said:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2e^{-u^2}du[/tex]
and I'm having trouble solving this now.

Is there another substitution that I should have made initially? I couldn't find one. I swear this is the last time I'll need help :biggrin:. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can solve the above integral using integration by parts.

for an equation of form:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

do integration by parts with

[tex] u=x [/tex]
[tex]dv=xe^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

Geez how could I not see that? Thanks for spending your 300th post helping me out learningphysics! And thanks to you too FulhamFan3.

I hope your first integral was zero... :rolleyes: As u had to integrate the odd function on a symmetric interval wrt to the origin...

Daniel.

P.S.The Cauchy principal value...

dextercioby said:
I hope your first integral was zero... :rolleyes: As u had to integrate the odd function on a symmetric interval wrt to the origin...

I forget to mention that lambda and a are positive real constants (and A = sqrt(lambda/pi)), so the function is symmetric about x=a not the origin, and the first integral turns out to be just <x> = a, and the second one <x^2> = a^2 + 1/(2*lambda) (for anyone who's interested).

Yes,you're right,it's not symmetric wrt 0...I should have looked better...

Good thing you finally pulled them through.

Daniel.

Related to Is this integral solvable using integration by parts?

What is a simple integral?

A simple integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is calculated by finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

What makes an integral simple?

An integral is considered simple when the function being integrated is continuous and the limits of integration are well-defined. Additionally, the function should be integrable using basic integration techniques such as power rule, substitution, or integration by parts.

How do you determine if an integral is simple or not?

To determine if an integral is simple, you must first check if the function is continuous and the limits of integration are defined. Then, you can try to integrate the function using basic integration techniques. If the integral can be solved using these techniques, it is considered simple. Otherwise, it is not simple and may require more advanced integration methods.

What are some examples of simple integrals?

Examples of simple integrals include finding the area under a straight line, a parabola, or a trigonometric function. These integrals can be solved using basic integration techniques such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts.

What are some examples of non-simple integrals?

Non-simple integrals include those that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. These may include integrals involving special functions, improper integrals, or those that require advanced integration methods such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitutions.