1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isobaric expansion problem

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    question: An ideal gas initially at 230 K undergoes an isobaric expansion at 3.65 kPa.

If the volume increases from 1.7 m^3 to 6.8 m^3 and 25.1 kJ is transferred to the gas by heat, what is the change in its internal energy?

i know that isobaric expansion means that the pressure is constant. however, i dont know how to calculate the internal energy. my proff went over this part very briefly and the book doesnt cover much about this topic.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the specific heat for an ideal gas at constant pressure.
  4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    so internal energy = q+w

work = -p*change in volume

which is (3.65kpa*1000)(6.8m^3-1.70m^3)

and q= n*Cp*change in T

and Cp = 20.775 J/mol*K

i know the initial T, and could find the final T
    n is also easy to find

however, what does the 25.1 kj transferred to the gas by heat mean and how does it relate to this problem?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  5. Oct 17, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heat (thermal energy) is being added to the system and the gas expands. As the gas expands it does work. The change in internal energy will be the difference between the heat added and the work done by the gas.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?