Isobaric process. Find magnitude of heat transfer

In summary: ENDMENT:In summary, the question involves a cylinder filled with steam at 350 kN/m2 and an initial volume of 0.05 m3. The piston is moved slowly to maintain constant pressure, with an area of 0.1 m2 and a travel distance of 0.15 m. The aim is to find the magnitude of heat transfer, with the formula dQ = dU + P(V2-V1). However, there seems to be a misinterpretation of the volume change and the problem may involve multiple cylinders instead of just one.
tigertan
Hi there,

I'm having a great deal of trouble with this thermodynamics question.

Cylinder filled with steam at 350 kN/m2. Initial volume is 0.05 m3. Sufficient heat transfer is effected to raise the internal energy in each cylinder by 50 kJ. The piston is moved slowly to maintain the pressure constant. Piston is of area of 0.1 m2, and the piston travels 0.15 m. Find the magnitude of the heat transfer.

So my attempt at the question:

dQ = dH (for isobaric case)
therefore:
dQ = dU + P (V2-V1)

and therefore
dQ = 50kJ + 350(1.55-0.05)
=575 kJ

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
tigertan said:
Hi there,

I'm having a great deal of trouble with this thermodynamics question.

Cylinder filled with steam at 350 kN/m2. Initial volume is 0.05 m3. Sufficient heat transfer is effected to raise the internal energy in each cylinder by 50 kJ. The piston is moved slowly to maintain the pressure constant. Piston is of area of 0.1 m2, and the piston travels 0.15 m. Find the magnitude of the heat transfer.

So my attempt at the question:

dQ = dH (for isobaric case)
therefore:
dQ = dU + P (V2-V1)

and therefore
dQ = 50kJ + 350(1.55-0.05)
=575 kJ

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

You miscalculated the volume change.

Also, there appears to be only one cylinder but the problem says that the Q increases ΔU by 50KJ for EACH cylinder.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure of a system remains constant while the volume and temperature may change.

2. How is an isobaric process different from an isothermal process?

In an isobaric process, the pressure remains constant while the temperature and volume may change, whereas in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant while the pressure and volume may change.

3. What is the significance of an isobaric process in thermodynamics?

An isobaric process is important in studying the transfer of heat and work in a thermodynamic system. It also allows for the analysis of the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a system.

4. How is the magnitude of heat transfer determined in an isobaric process?

The magnitude of heat transfer in an isobaric process can be determined by using the equation Q = ΔH = nCpΔT, where Q is the heat transfer, ΔH is the enthalpy change, n is the number of moles of gas, Cp is the heat capacity at constant pressure, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. Can the magnitude of heat transfer be negative in an isobaric process?

Yes, the magnitude of heat transfer can be negative in an isobaric process if the system releases heat to the surroundings. This is known as an exothermic process. On the other hand, if the system absorbs heat from the surroundings, the magnitude of heat transfer will be positive, known as an endothermic process.