1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphic Type

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9880/34132542.gif [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (a), I think since the order of an element g is the smallest integer n such that gn=e, we will have:

8n mod 65 = 1 => n=4

64n mod 65 = 1 => n=2

14n mod 65 =1 => n=2

Am I right so far?

Now for part (b), what is it meant by an "isomorphic type"? And what do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It means, I believe the "type" of group that G is isomorphic to. Since G has 8 elements, it is, of course, isomorphic to a group of order [itex]8= 2^3[/itex]. What can you say about groups with exactly 8 elements. How many different "kinds" are there?

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Do you mean the following direct products:

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^3}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

Is that right?

5. Sep 6, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Now which of those is your G isomorphic to?

6. Sep 7, 2010 #5
    G is a subgroup of U(65), not all of U(65). So I think

[tex]U(65) \cong U(5.13) \cong U(5) \oplus U(13) \cong \mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex]

But the problem is that none of the 3 groups in my previous post will then be isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex]. E.g. since lcm(12,4)=12, [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex] has elements of order 12, but [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^3}[/tex] has no elements of order 12. So they are not isomorphic.

So what is wrong? I'm confused... :confused:

7. Sep 26, 2010 #6
    HallsofIvy, "by finding the isomorphic type" they mean write G as an external product of cyclic groups of prime power order.

So, G is an abelian group of order 8=23. The fundamental theorem of Finite Abelian Groups implies that either [tex]G \cong \mathbb{Z}_8[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex].

From my work in part (a) I know that G has 2 distinct subgroups of order 2: [tex]\left\langle14 \right\rangle = \{ 1,14 \}[/tex] and [tex]\left\langle 64 \right\rangle= \{ 1,64 \}[/tex], and one subgroup of order 4: [tex]\left\langle 8 \right\rangle = \{ 1,8,57,64 \}[/tex].

Does it follow that G is non-cyclic and [tex]G \cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4[/tex]? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook