Exploring Order of Elements in Groups: Part (a) & (b)

In summary: It does not follow that G is non-cyclic and G \cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4.
roam

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9880/34132542.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I think since the order of an element g is the smallest integer n such that gn=e, we will have:

8n mod 65 = 1 => n=4

64n mod 65 = 1 => n=2

14n mod 65 =1 => n=2

Am I right so far?

Now for part (b), what is it meant by an "isomorphic type"? And what do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means, I believe the "type" of group that G is isomorphic to. Since G has 8 elements, it is, of course, isomorphic to a group of order [itex]8= 2^3[/itex]. What can you say about groups with exactly 8 elements. How many different "kinds" are there?

HallsofIvy said:
It means, I believe the "type" of group that G is isomorphic to. Since G has 8 elements, it is, of course, isomorphic to a group of order [itex]8= 2^3[/itex]. What can you say about groups with exactly 8 elements. How many different "kinds" are there?

Do you mean the following direct products:

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^3}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

Is that right?

roam said:
Do you mean the following direct products:

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^3}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2} \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]

Is that right?
Yes. Now which of those is your G isomorphic to?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes. Now which of those is your G isomorphic to?

G is a subgroup of U(65), not all of U(65). So I think

[tex]U(65) \cong U(5.13) \cong U(5) \oplus U(13) \cong \mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex]

But the problem is that none of the 3 groups in my previous post will then be isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex]. E.g. since lcm(12,4)=12, [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex] has elements of order 12, but [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2^3}[/tex] has no elements of order 12. So they are not isomorphic.

So what is wrong? I'm confused... :confused:

HallsofIvy, "by finding the isomorphic type" they mean write G as an external product of cyclic groups of prime power order.

So, G is an abelian group of order 8=23. The fundamental theorem of Finite Abelian Groups implies that either [tex]G \cong \mathbb{Z}_8[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex].

From my work in part (a) I know that G has 2 distinct subgroups of order 2: [tex]\left\langle14 \right\rangle = \{ 1,14 \}[/tex] and [tex]\left\langle 64 \right\rangle= \{ 1,64 \}[/tex], and one subgroup of order 4: [tex]\left\langle 8 \right\rangle = \{ 1,8,57,64 \}[/tex].

Does it follow that G is non-cyclic and [tex]G \cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4[/tex]? :rolleyes:

1. What is the purpose of exploring the order of elements in groups?

The purpose of exploring the order of elements in groups is to understand the patterns and relationships between the elements in a group. This can help us predict the properties and behavior of elements and their compounds.

2. What are the two parts of exploring order of elements in groups?

The two parts of exploring order of elements in groups are part (a) and part (b). Part (a) involves organizing elements into groups based on their similar properties and identifying trends within each group. Part (b) involves comparing elements in different groups and identifying patterns in their properties.

3. How do scientists determine the order of elements in groups?

Scientists determine the order of elements in groups by arranging them based on their atomic structure and properties. This includes the number of protons, electrons, and neutrons, as well as their atomic mass, electronegativity, and other characteristics.

4. What is the periodic table and how is it related to exploring the order of elements in groups?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the elements in order of their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is a visual representation of the order of elements in groups and is a useful tool for exploring and understanding the patterns and trends within the elements.

5. Why is understanding the order of elements in groups important?

Understanding the order of elements in groups is important because it allows us to make predictions about the properties and behavior of elements and their compounds. It also helps in the development of new materials and technologies, as well as in understanding the natural world and its processes.