1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism homework help

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [​IMG]

I don't see how you can show that T and T-1 are bounded. Furthermore I don't understand the notation Tf is that T*f or Tf as a whole?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Re: isomorphism

Tf = f'. That is, the operator applied to f, in this case a differential operator. T is bounded because ||Tf|| = ||f||. [tex]T^{-1}[/tex] is defined to be [tex]T^{-1}f' = f[/tex] and so is also bounded by the same reason. This comes from the definition of boundedness of linear operators.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3

Ok, that's clear.

I don't see how you prove that it is bounded. Why is||Tf|| = ||f||. [tex]T^{-1}[/tex] ?

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

The definition of boundedness of linear operators on normed spaces:

[tex] ||Tf||_\infty \leq M||f||_E [/tex] for some M. If we let M=1, then we have the proof for T and its inverse..

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5

OK clear. But how can I compute its inverse? I know it has to go from [tex]||f'||_{\infty}[/tex] to f,right?

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6

You don't need to compute anything. You know that [tex]T^{-1}f' = f[/tex], that's all you need.

8. Sep 25, 2008 #7

[​IMG]

If I want to proof that it is a Banach space I need to show that the norm is complete in other words every cauchy sequence has a limit. Do I need to start with a sequence of sequences?

9. Sep 25, 2008 #8

You need to show that given a sequence [tex]f_n\in E[/tex], where [tex]||f_m - f_n||_E < 1/k[/tex] for any m, n>N, some N, and any k, that its limit is in E, i.e. that [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f_n = f[/tex] such that f(0) = 0 and f is continuously differentiable on the interval [0,1]. The first part is easy. To prove C1, the key is in the norm. The norm is the sup of the derivative meaning that sup of the derivative of the difference of two members of the sequence becomes smaller. This keeps the derivative of f from exploding.

10. Sep 25, 2008 #9

What I want to show is that [tex] ||f - f_n ||_E < \epsilon [/tex] for n>N is that the same?

I don't understand: the difference of two members is just in the infinity-norm. How can you see that it's decreasing? (the only useful thing you can do is the triangle inequality, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?