Prove Isomorphism of Rotation Function in R^2

In summary, the problem is to prove that a function f : R^2 -> R^2, which maps to rotation through an angle of theta radians about the origin, is an isomorphism. The rotation can be expressed as a 2x2 matrix and its inverse is also a 2x2 matrix. To show that f is an isomorphism, it needs to be proven that the function is 1-1, onto, and a homomorphism. The linear transformation has been shown to be a homomorphism, and the inverse matrix has been calculated to show that the function is 1-1. Therefore, it can be concluded that f is an isomorphism.
beetle2

Homework Statement

The problem is as follows:

Let f : R^2 map to R^2 be rotation through an angle of theta radians about the origin.

Prove that f is an isomorphism.

Homework Equations

Let f :[itex] R^2 \rightarrow R^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the rotation can be expressed as the 2 x 2 matrix

cos(theta) -sin(theta)

Sin(theta) cos(theta)

And its inverse I believe is

cos(theta) -sin(theta)

-sin(theta) cos(theta)

Do I first show that f :[itex] R^2 \rightarrow R^2 [/itex] is a linear transformation
by closure of addition and scaler multiplication by using x,y elements of R2 and some scaler k

Say let the 2x2 matrix:

cos(theta) -sin(theta)

Sin(theta) cos(theta) = A

We need to show

A(x+y) = A(x) + A(y)

cos(theta)x -sin(theta)y = cos(theta)x + -sin(theta)y = cos(theta)x -sin(theta)y

sin(theta)x cos(theta)y sin(theta)x + cos(theta)y sin(theta)x cos(theta)y

likewise

A(kx+ky) = K A(x+y)

cos(theta)kx + -sin(theta)ky = cos(theta)xk -sin(theta)yk

sin(theta)kx + cos(theta)ky sin(theta)xk cos(theta)yk

Do I need to use the inverse or can I use an assumption some how?

Basically I’m having trouble with knowing how to prove that the function is 1-1 and surgective.

As well as constructing the proof logically and stating the proof clearly.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing it out as in f(a,b)=...for (a,b) in R^2

To show that it is an isomorphism you should show that the function is 1-1, onto, and that it is a homomorphism. You mentioned that it may be a linear transformation. Did you check that?

Yes It is a linear Transformation.

Let
[itex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\
sin(\theta) & cos(\theta) \end{array} \right)\] = A.\\

[/itex]
Than
[itex]

A \times\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
x \\
0 \end{array} \right)\] + A \times\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 \\
y \end{array} \right)\]
= \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
cos(\theta)x & -sin(\theta)y \\
sin(\theta)x & cos(\theta)y \end{array} \right)\]

[/itex]

Sorry I'm not to good a latex yet.

I Think the inverse might be:

[itex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
cos(\theta)x & -sin(\theta)y \\
-sin(\theta)x & cos(\theta)y \end{array} \right)\]

[/itex]
For the homomorphism the transformation is to R2 as well so that is shown.

As of how to show it is 1-1 I'm don't know how. I'm not sure wether I need to use the inverse function or just use the assumption to show for [itex]f:G\rightarrow W there must be a function

[itex]
f:W\rightarrow G = f(x)^{-1}= w(f(x)) [/itex]
[itex] x [/itex] is an element of G

regards

I think the inverse of [[cos(theta),-sin(theta)],[sin(theta),cos(theta)]] might be [[cos(theta),sin(theta)],[-sin(theta),cos(theta)]]. (Each bracketed pair is a row of the matrix - I'm not that hot at latex either). Can you check that? If a linear transformation R^2->R^2 has an inverse, then it's 1-1.

I Did the following on my calculator

[itex]A \times\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}x \\0 \end{array} \right)\] + A \times\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}0 \\y \end{array} \right)\] = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)x & -sin(\theta)y \\sin(\theta)x & cos(\theta)y \end{array} \right)\][/itex]

I then multiplied the result by the inverse as you said:

[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)x & sin(\theta)y \\-sin(\theta)x & cos(\theta)y \end{array} \right)\][/itex]

which gave me

[itex]

\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}x & \\y \end{array} \right)\][/itex]

Is that right ?

As both functions have dim(2) have I done enough to show that the function is isomorphic ?

Well, yes, that is the whole point of a "inverse", isn't it- to "undo" the original operation. But you didn't really need the "x y" matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & sin(\theta) \\ -sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Of course the opposite of "rotate through angle [itex]\theta[/itex]" is "rotate through angle [itex]-\theta[/itex]". So the inverse of
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & -sin(\theta) \\ sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-\theta)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}cos(\theta) & sin(\theta) \\ -sin(\theta) & cos(\theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
since "sine" is an odd function and "cosine" is an even function.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Related to Prove Isomorphism of Rotation Function in R^2

1. What is isomorphism in mathematics?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a structure-preserving mapping between two mathematical objects. It is a way of showing that two objects have the same underlying structure, even if they may look different on the surface.

2. How is isomorphism used in rotation functions in R^2?

Isomorphism is used in rotation functions in R^2 to prove that two different representations of a rotation function are essentially the same. This means that the two representations may look different, but they are actually describing the same mathematical structure.

3. What is the process for proving isomorphism of a rotation function in R^2?

To prove isomorphism of a rotation function in R^2, you need to show that the two different representations of the function follow the same rules and have the same outcomes. This can be done by using mathematical equations and properties to show that the two representations are equivalent.

4. Why is it important to prove isomorphism of rotation functions in R^2?

Proving isomorphism of rotation functions in R^2 is important because it allows us to understand the underlying structure of the function and how it behaves. It also helps us to make connections between different representations of the same function and can lead to new insights and applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of isomorphism in rotation functions?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of isomorphism in rotation functions. For example, in computer graphics, isomorphism is used to rotate and transform images and objects. It is also used in physics and engineering to describe rotational motion and transformations. Isomorphism is a powerful tool that has many practical applications in various fields.