1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It should be simple: it's only trig, right?

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

I'm trying to determine the angle between an edge of a unit cube and either space diagonal which shares an end point with said edge (to the end that I may represent a vertex of the unit cube in spherical coordinates.)

My work: A face diagonal of the unit cube is of length [tex]\sqrt{1^2+1^2}=\sqrt{2}[/tex] by the Pythagorean theorem, now the right triangle having an edge and a face diagonal for its legs and a space diagonal as its hypotenuse gives the space diagonal's length as being [tex]\sqrt{1^2+( \sqrt{2} )^2}=\sqrt{3} [/tex] again by the Pythagorean theorem. Hence the desired angle is given by [tex] \mbox{arcsin} \left( \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\right)[/tex] or, equivalently, by [tex]\mbox{arccos} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex], yet I cannot determine an exact value for this angle (which I expect to be able to find given the simple geometric nature of the problem,) a numeric approximation of this angle is 54.7357... degrees.

Did I make a mistake? Is there some trick to this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt that there is a simple expression for that angle, aside from simply writing it as something like [itex]\cos^{-1} (1/\sqrt{3})[/itex].

p.s. what is the reason to express it in spherical coordinates? Maybe there is a better approach that avoids the need for real numbers!
  4. Jul 15, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

I am trying to prove that a particular sequence of sets converges to the unit hypercube (see old post), in particular I was working the 3-d case, finding the points on the surface [tex]x^{2N}+y^{2N}+z^{2N}=1[/tex] which are furthest from (closest to) the origin using spherical coordinates. I have since found a much simpler method for determining said extrema in the n-D case using the method of Lagrange multipliers but the angle thing was still bugging me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?