Iterated integral clarification

• Thread starter Derill03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses an iterated integral with outer integration limits of 1 to -1 and inner integration limits of sqrt(1-x^2) to -sqrt(1-x^2), and a function of x^2 + y^2. The participants also discuss the meaning of the question regarding the lower boundary of the region and whether it refers to the lower half of a circle or a sphere. They also speculate on the potential graph of the integral in R3.
Derill03
There is an iterated integral:

outer integration = 1 to -1 (limits of int.)
inner integration = sqrt(1-x^2) to -sqrt(1-x^2)
function = x^2 + y^2

the part i don't get is the question states to sketch or describe the region, I am good with that, but i don't understand what is meant by the following:

What region in the plane comprises the lower boundary of this region?

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Derill03 said:
… i don't understand what is meant by the following:

What region in the plane comprises the lower boundary of this region?

Hi Derill03! :smile:

I agree it's a strange question :confused:

the boundary of a region in the plane is a curve, not a region …

I suppose it's asking for the bottom half of the circle.

Hello Derill03

I believe I am faced with the same question as you.

My question is what the graph of this would look like in R3. Is it an inverted conical shape or a sphere?

The lower boundary that TinyTim was mentioning, "lower half of the circle", is this referring a lower half of a sphere?

s10dude04 said:
Hello Derill03

I believe I am faced with the same question as you.

My question is what the graph of this would look like in R3. Is it an inverted conical shape or a sphere?

The lower boundary that TinyTim was mentioning, "lower half of the circle", is this referring a lower half of a sphere?
No, it's the lower half of a circle in the x-y plane. We're talking about the region over which (double) integration takes place, so this region is two-dimensional. OTOH, the integral itself might represent the volume of a 3D object whose z-value is x^2 + y^2, which is a cone.

Derill03,
You listed the limits of integration as
outer integration = 1 to -1 (limits of int.)
inner integration = sqrt(1-x^2) to -sqrt(1-x^2)
The usual practice is to list the lower limit first, and then the upper limit, not the other way round, as you seem to have done.

1. What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a type of mathematical integral that involves integrating a function of multiple variables over a specific region of the domain. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given area or volume.

2. How is an iterated integral different from a regular integral?

An iterated integral involves multiple integrations, while a regular integral involves only one integration. In an iterated integral, each integration is performed over a different variable and the result is multiplied together.

3. What is the purpose of using an iterated integral?

The purpose of using an iterated integral is to calculate the total value of a function over a specific region. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving multivariable functions.

4. What is the process for evaluating an iterated integral?

The process for evaluating an iterated integral involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and performing each integration separately. This is typically done using the fundamental theorem of calculus and other integration techniques.

5. What are some common applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to solve problems involving functions of multiple variables. Some specific applications include calculating areas and volumes, finding probabilities, and determining work and energy in physical systems.