๐‘— - ๐œ” method alternating current circuit help

In summary, the conversation is about calculating current and phase angle, with multiple individuals getting the same answer for the current magnitude and angle. They discuss the importance of knowing that the angle can never equal 90 degrees and will always be slightly less. They also mention finding ways to work out complex number calculations for future use.
magnuol
Homework Statement
I'm supposed to calculate the current and the phase angle.
Relevant Equations
Can someone please tell me if this is the correct solution?
I'm supposed to calculate the current and the phase angle. Can someone please tell me if this is the correct solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer as you. I did not follow every step of your work. While the angle does round to 90 degree, I think it's important to know that it can never equal 90, and will be slightly less.

scottdave said:
I got the same answer as you. I did not follow every step of your work. While the angle does round to 90 degree, I think it's important to know that it can never equal 90, and will be slightly less.
You got the same answer regarding the value of the current as well?

Your current magnitude and angle are both correct.

gneill said:
Your current magnitude and angle are both correct.
Does it seem accurate that the order of the real component (a) is 10^(-7) when the imaginary component (b) is that much bigger?

Yes. That's why the phase angle is so close to 90ยฐ.

magnuol said:
You got the same answer regarding the value of the current as well?
Yes, I got the same magnitude and angle for current I

scottdave said:
Yes, I got the same magnitude and angle for current I
For whatever it's worth, I got the same real and imaginary parts for the current as @magnuol .

Hey @magnuol if this is something you will be working with, then you could benefit from finding a way to work out the complex number calculations - either a nice scientific calculator, or some software. Both Python and R are freely available programming environments, and both can handle complex number calculations (check out http://www.johnmyleswhite.com/notebook/2009/12/18/using-complex-numbers-in-r/ for some examples in R). Also, https://www.wolframalpha.com/ can handle those calculations as well.

Likes magnuol and gneill

1. What is the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method for alternating current circuits?

The ๐‘— - ๐œ” method, also known as the phasor method, is a technique used in electrical engineering to analyze alternating current (AC) circuits. It involves representing AC quantities, such as voltage and current, as complex numbers with a magnitude and phase angle. This method simplifies the calculations for AC circuits and allows for easy visualization of circuit behavior.

2. How is the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method different from the traditional method of analyzing AC circuits?

In the traditional method, AC quantities are represented as sinusoidal functions that vary with time. This can make calculations more complex and difficult to visualize. The ๐‘— - ๐œ” method simplifies this by representing AC quantities as complex numbers, making calculations and analysis more efficient.

3. What is the purpose of using the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method in AC circuit analysis?

The purpose of using the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method is to simplify the analysis of AC circuits by using complex numbers. This allows for easy visualization of circuit behavior and simplifies calculations, making it a more efficient and accurate method for analyzing AC circuits.

4. Can the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method be used for both series and parallel AC circuits?

Yes, the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method can be used for both series and parallel AC circuits. It is a versatile method that can be applied to various types of AC circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method for AC circuit analysis?

While the ๐‘— - ๐œ” method is a powerful tool for analyzing AC circuits, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the circuit is linear and does not take into account non-linear components such as diodes and transistors. Additionally, it is important to use caution when using the method for circuits with high frequency or high power, as it may not accurately represent the behavior of these circuits.