Jacobian transformation, find new limits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding limits for variables U and V in a given set of equations. The suggested approach is to transform the original equations and use those transformations to determine the limits. It is also recommended to make a sketch of the region to better understand the problem. The conversation ends with a suggestion to share the attempted solution in order to identify any mistakes.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

jacobian.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to find those limits for U and V. That's not at all what I'm getting. I've tried solving for the max and min x,y coordinates from the given graphs but that doesn't yield the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the original equations you are given:

##x - 2y = 0##
##x - 2y = 4##
##3x - y = 1##
##3x - y = 8##

Applying your transformation yields:

##u = 0##
##u = 4##
##v = 1##
##v = 8##

These yield your limits.

Likes 1 person
It quite often helps to make a sketch of the region. What do the u=constant and v=constant lines look like in the xy-plane?

Feodalherren said:
What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to find those limits for U and V. That's not at all what I'm getting. I've tried solving for the max and min x,y coordinates from the given graphs but that doesn't yield the correct answer.
It unfortunate that you did not tell us how you tried "solving for the max and min x, y coordinates" since if you had we might be able to point out your mistake. All I can say is that if you have "u= x- 2y", one of the boundaries is x- 2y= 0 and the other is x- 2y= 4, u= 0 and 4 pretty much leaps out at you- u= x- 2y= 0 and u= x- 2y= 4!

1. What is a Jacobian transformation?

A Jacobian transformation is a mathematical method used to transform the coordinates of a vector or set of variables from one coordinate system to another. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and differential equations.

2. Why is Jacobian transformation important?

Jacobian transformation allows us to simplify the calculation of integrals and derivatives in different coordinate systems. It is especially useful in physical and engineering problems where different coordinate systems may be used.

3. How is Jacobian transformation calculated?

The Jacobian transformation is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the new coordinates with respect to the old coordinates. These derivatives are then used to create a Jacobian matrix, which is used to transform the variables.

4. What is the purpose of finding new limits in Jacobian transformation?

Finding new limits in Jacobian transformation is important because it allows us to express integrals and derivatives in terms of the new coordinates. This can make the calculations simpler and more efficient.

5. Can Jacobian transformation be applied to any coordinate system?

Yes, Jacobian transformation can be applied to any coordinate system as long as it is a one-to-one mapping. This means that each point in the original coordinate system corresponds to a unique point in the new coordinate system.