Hi all, I trust everybody is doing well. A Happy New Year to you all!
It's been quite a while since I posted in here. I did continue to follow the Fukushima news, I wouldn't say with less interest, but it did seem like the amount of news on the subject has been decreasing. I didn't find anything that felt worth posting.
Now I found this in the 12/27/18 dated "Long- and mid-term roadmap update":
http://www.tepco.co.jp/decommission/information/committee/roadmap_progress/pdf/2018/d181227_08-j.pdf
(sorry, only Japanese for now)
Looks like a new investigation into the PCV of Unit 2 is being planned for end of February 2019. This time they want to actually "pinch" the sediment located in the previous investigations.
A few points from the PDF file linked:
Page numbered 1: Short recap regarding the results of previous investigation(s). Last time, a probe was lowered through the gaps in the grating (where grating panels are gone) and, while no great damage was observed on pre-existing metallic structures, a large amount of sand-like and gravel-like "sediment" was found piled up on the floor of the pedestal. At the surface of this sediment they found the tie-plate of a fuel bundle and other fallen objects.
Pages 2-4: The newly planned investigation aims to determine some of the properties of this sediment (hardness, brittleness) as they are important in view of the future extraction operations. They will use basically the same path and method as last time - modifying only the suspended unit, which will be brought in contact with the sediment in order to assess its properties. Of course images, film, and measurements will also be taken. The unit will be equipped with a set of "mechanical fingers" which will actually probe and "feel" the sediment. As before, an airtight boundary will be set so that no gas escapes from inside the PCV.
Page 5: The new investigation unit will be equipped with a thermometer and radiation meter, will be able to rotate to look around, will have lighting to facilitate viewing and, at the bottom, will feature two "fingers" which can be opened and closed while in contact with the sediment.
Page 6 shows the area intended to be studied (the blue-line pentagon). It's a very small alrea, 400x350mm or so.
Page 7 gives the schedule. The actual investigation is to start around mid-February.