Joystick control of stepper(s), noob in over head

In summary: A gear motor can have a gear box that can take the slow speed and give it more torque so it can move the same load at a slower speed. It would be something you would have to build yourself, but it would be a more efficient way to do it. In summary, the person is trying to control two servos with a joystick from a game controller. They have found designs for servo controllers that use a computer, but that won't work for them. They are looking for a way to control the direction and speed of the servos without having to be tethered to a computer. Gear motors and linear motors may or may not work, and the person will have to build a gear box to use a slow speed
edinc90
So I know I am getting in over my head here, which is why I haven't started anything. I have never done any advanced electronics work, but I know what resistors, capacitors, ICs, and the like are. I can't design a circuit aside from a switch and an LED, but I can build them. Ok, enough of that.
What I'm trying to do is control the direction and speed of 2 servos with a two axis joystick (most likely from a game controller, as joysticks are hard to find otherwise.) I have found designs for servo controllers that use a computer, but that won't work for me. The application will be a remote control camera head, and being tethered to a computer makes it too awkward to use.
I've looked through the forum, and this issue has been covered before, but nothing with any definitive answers. What I gather is that I need a joystick, a servo controller, and a way to have the joystick talk to the controller. I really don't know where to start, but am not opposed to learning stuff. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you already have these servo motors in your posession? If you are just trying to pan and tilt a camera I would look for some linear motors and when you find something that mechanically suits you get back to us. Summarized, what will happen is you will use some relays to reverse the polarity to the linear motors to change direction. The relays will be controlled by your joystick.

I was originally thinking stepper motors, but would servos work better? Linear motors sound like an interesting idea, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how they would work...

I think you may need to look up a few definitions. A stepper motor can be a servo motor. A servo motor is defined as such by its application. Depending on how far you need to pan and tilt your camera a linear motor may or may not work. It could be configured as a rack and pinion type of thing or if you don't need to pan and tilt that far just a couple of levers. Also, look into gear motors.

So a servo just has a feedback circuit for exact positioning, right? I don't need exact positioning like a servo would give me, I just need to be able to control the speed of the motor without losing torque. By my understanding that's what steppers allow you to do. Also, servos only rotate so far, so I would have to open it up and remove the potentiometer. Wouldn't that just give me a regular old motor?
Gear motors I've read have a problem with slow speeds and not being able to move the same load that they can at higher speeds.

Related to Joystick control of stepper(s), noob in over head

1. What is a stepper motor?

A stepper motor is a type of electric motor that moves in small, precise steps instead of continuously rotating. It is commonly used in applications that require precise positioning and control, such as in 3D printers, CNC machines, and robotics.

2. How does joystick control work with stepper motors?

Joystick control allows a user to manually move the stepper motor by manipulating a joystick, which sends signals to a microcontroller. The microcontroller then interprets these signals and sends corresponding instructions to the stepper motor to move in a specific direction and distance.

3. What are the advantages of using joystick control for stepper motors?

Joystick control allows for precise and intuitive control of the stepper motor, making it easier for users to operate and manipulate. It also allows for real-time adjustments and movements, which can be useful in applications that require fine-tuning or adjustments on the fly.

4. Are there any limitations to using joystick control for stepper motors?

One limitation of using joystick control for stepper motors is that it requires a constant connection to the microcontroller. This means that if the connection is lost, the control over the motor will also be lost. Additionally, joystick control may not be suitable for applications that require high-speed or continuous rotation of the stepper motor.

5. What are some tips for beginners using joystick control for stepper motors?

For beginners, it is important to understand the basics of stepper motors and how they work before attempting to use joystick control. It is also recommended to start with simple projects and gradually increase the complexity as you become more familiar with the technology. Additionally, make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions and safety precautions provided by the manufacturer when setting up and using the joystick control for your stepper motor.