Why is the Junction Rule not applying in my circuit?

In summary, I created a circuit with resistor (R1) in series with a set of resistors in parallel (R2//R3).Using an ammeter, I measured:I1 = 2.30mAI2 = 1.25mAI3 = 0.38mAThe Attempt at a SolutionSo applying the Junction Rule, I1 = I2 + I3However, with what I've measured, 12+13 does not add up to I1. What could cause this "loss" of charge? To me, this doesn't make sense, as this violates the idea of conservation of charge. How can charge just disappear like such, after the parallel connection converges?
vetgirl1990

Homework Statement

In my lab today, I created a circuit with resistor (R1) in series with a set of resistors in parallel (R2//R3).

Using an ammeter, I measured:
I1 = 2.30mA
I2 = 1.25mA
I3 = 0.38mA

Homework Equations

Junction Rule: ΣI = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So applying the Junction Rule, I1 = I2 + I3
However, with what I've measured, 12+13 does not add up to I1. What could cause this "loss" of charge? To me, this doesn't make sense, as this violates the idea of conservation of charge. How can charge just disappear like such, after the parallel connection converges?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 3.04.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 3.04.35 PM.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vetgirl1990 said:

Homework Statement

In my lab today, I created a circuit with resistor (R1) in series with a set of resistors in parallel (R2//R3).

Using an ammeter, I measured:
I1 = 2.30mA
I2 = 1.25mA
I3 = 0.38mA

Homework Equations

Junction Rule: ΣI = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So applying the Junction Rule, I1 = I2 + I3
However, with what I've measured, 12+13 does not add up to I1. What could cause this "loss" of charge? To me, this doesn't make sense, as this violates the idea of conservation of charge. How can charge just disappear like such, after the parallel connection converges?
Can you show your setup? Remember that a DVM in current measuring mode has an internal shunt resistance that cannot always be ignored...

berkeman said:
Can you show your setup? Remember that a DVM in current measuring mode has an internal shunt resistance that cannot always be ignored...
I have just added an image of my set-up in the original post.

vetgirl1990 said:
I have just added an image of my set-up in the original post.
Did you really have 6 DVMs running at the same time doing simultaneous monitoring? Or did you have one DVM in voltage mode and one DVM in current mode that you were moving around? What was the actual test procedure? :smile:

This might be relevant: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-8/voltmeter-impact-measured-circuit/

Likes berkeman
It would be of interest to know the component values (so that we can compare your measured values to theoretical ones). What were the values of the resistors?

berkeman said:
Did you really have 6 DVMs running at the same time doing simultaneous monitoring? Or did you have one DVM in voltage mode and one DVM in current mode that you were moving around? What was the actual test procedure? :smile:
Also, do you see a difference in how you measured the voltage across R1 versus how you handled R2 and R3? :smile:

You used a 2 volt supply...so the resistors were around 50 to 150 ohms.

One thing that might or might not be relevant here, but cheap power supplies can drift with time. So it's possible that what started off as 2.0 volts may have been a different value by the time you took your final current measurement. It is a wise precaution to constantly monitor voltage sources if you are not assured of their stability; an unnoticed drift in supply voltage can result in hours of wasted time, and needless frustration!

berkeman said:

Exactly to the latter procedure -- I measured each resistor's current and voltage individually. How would that affect the current though?

vetgirl1990 said:
I measured each resistor's current and voltage individually
Did the voltages add up to 2V?

vetgirl1990 said:
Exactly to the latter procedure -- I measured each resistor's current and voltage individually. How would that affect the current though?
Can you respond to the other comments and questions in this thread? You have been given some great hints and advice... :smile:

1. What is the junction rule and why doesn't it apply in certain situations?

The junction rule, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction. This rule does not apply in situations where there is a non-conservative element, such as a diode or transistor, present in the circuit. These elements do not follow the traditional rules of current flow and can disrupt the balance of current at a junction.

2. Can a circuit function properly without following the junction rule?

Yes, a circuit can still function properly even if the junction rule does not apply. This is because non-conservative elements, such as diodes, are often intentionally used to control the flow of current in a circuit. In these cases, the junction rule is not applicable, but the circuit can still function as intended.

3. How do you analyze a circuit that does not follow the junction rule?

When analyzing a circuit that does not follow the junction rule, it is important to take into account the behavior of the non-conservative elements. These elements may have specific rules or equations that govern their behavior, and these should be considered in the analysis. Additionally, Kirchhoff's voltage law can still be applied to the circuit to determine the voltage drops and current flow.

4. What are some common examples of circuits where the junction rule does not apply?

One common example is a rectifier circuit, which uses diodes to convert AC current into DC current. In this circuit, the diodes do not follow the junction rule and can cause imbalances in the current flow. Transistor circuits, such as amplifiers, also do not follow the junction rule because transistors act as current-controlled devices rather than voltage-controlled ones.

5. Are there any alternative rules or laws that can be used in place of the junction rule?

Yes, there are other rules and laws that can be used to analyze circuits where the junction rule does not apply. Kirchhoff's voltage law, as mentioned before, is one alternative. Ohm's law, which relates the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit, can also be used to analyze circuits. In addition, there are specific rules and equations for non-conservative elements, such as the Shockley diode equation, that can be used in their respective circuits.