Just a basic Series/Parallel circuit

• Thread starter qwexor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their homework, specifically with understanding which resistors are in parallel or series in a given circuit. They are advised to redraw the diagram and replace the parallel resistors with an equivalent resistor in order to simplify the circuit. The conversation ends with a recommendation to redraw the diagram as it may help with understanding the circuit and setting up equations for solving the problem.
qwexor
Ok I'm just having some concept problems with some of my homework. I have the following circuit.

http://members.shaw.ca/qwex/circuit.jpg

I am not sure what to do iwth the 4, 9, 4 and 6 ohm resistors. Which ones are in parallel or in series. Any help would be great.

Sorry for the bad diagram

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
clearly the top 4 and 9 ohm resistors in your diagram are in parallel, replace them with an equivalent resistor then redraw your diagram, you should be able to reduced it further.

Thank you, that's all i need to know

Try redrawing the diagram! It may help you figure out the series/parrallel confusion you are having. The circuit can be drawn in numerous ways, the question is which one helps you see it in a way so that you can esily set up your equations and do the math.

Teachers sometimes like to confuse you with diagrams that seem misleading.

1. How does a series circuit differ from a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current must flow through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, each component has its own separate path for the current to flow through.

2. What happens to the overall resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the overall resistance increases as more components are added. This is because the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. How is voltage shared in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage is shared across each branch. This means that each component will receive the full voltage of the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of using a series circuit?

A series circuit is commonly used to power devices that require a specific voltage. It is also used to create a pathway for current to flow through multiple components in a specific order.

5. How does the current change in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents. This means that the total current will increase as more branches are added to the circuit.