The Upside Down World - Is It Real?

• Thread starter .:superfry:.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of our eyes seeing things upside down, but our brain interpreting them the right way up. The question is raised as to whether this means the world is actually upside down and gravity is going in the opposite direction. The conclusion is that the world is perceived correctly, but the image on the retina is upside down and the brain is able to interpret it correctly. The conversation also mentions the unprofessional behavior of the physics teacher who dismissed the question.
.:superfry:.
i was just thinking...and its probably totally wrong...but I've asked my physics teacher and she's just like..."next question please"...
if our eyes see things upside down but our brain interprets them the right way up (or is that just in babies??)...but yer if our eyes n brains do that...does that mean that really the world is like upside down or something and like in stead of gravity going downwards its really going ^^^ or like or its still going down but becasuse the world is upside down its realli going up?? i don't know i confuse my self! :confused:
but yer just wondering...and sorry if that didnt make any sense at all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

the world is prefectly like what you see, upright. But when the image is formed on your retina, it is upside down, just that our brain is able to interpret it correctly, that's all. BTW when light(the image) passes throught the lens of your eye, the light is twisted upside down and hence image form on your retina is upside down.

OFF TOPIC : your teacher shouldn't really snub you like that, what a unprofessional teacher you have.

I can assure you that the world is not upside down. Our eyes do not see things upside down, they actually see things right side up. The misconception that our eyes see things upside down comes from the fact that the image projected onto our retina is inverted, but our brain automatically corrects this and interprets the image as right side up. This ability is not just present in babies, it is present in all humans.

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth, and it is a fundamental force of nature. It is not affected by the orientation of the world. So, even if the world was upside down, gravity would still be pulling objects towards the center of the earth, not upwards.

It is important to understand that our perception of the world is not always an accurate representation of reality. Our brain uses past experiences and knowledge to interpret the information received from our senses, which can sometimes lead to misconceptions. However, scientific evidence and experiments have shown that the world is not upside down and gravity works in the way we understand it to.

I would recommend discussing your thoughts and questions with your physics teacher, as they can provide you with more accurate and scientifically supported information. It is always good to question and wonder about the world around us, but it is also important to seek out reliable sources and information. Keep exploring and learning!

1. Is the upside down world a real place or just a concept?

At this time, the upside down world is considered a fictional world created for the popular TV show "Stranger Things." There is no scientific evidence to suggest that such a world exists in reality.

2. Could the upside down world be a parallel universe?

While the concept of parallel universes is a popular theory in physics, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of a parallel world like the upside down. More research and evidence is needed to fully understand the concept of parallel universes.

3. Are there any real-life occurrences or phenomena that are similar to the upside down world?

There are some natural phenomena that share similarities with the upside down world, such as the aurora borealis or underwater caves. However, these occurrences are not considered to be alternate dimensions or parallel universes.

4. How did the upside down world come to be?

In the fictional world of "Stranger Things," the upside down is a result of a scientific experiment gone wrong. In reality, there is no evidence or scientific explanation for the existence of such a world.

5. Could the upside down world ever become a reality?

As a scientist, I cannot rule out the possibility of alternate dimensions or parallel universes, but at this time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that the upside down world could become a reality. It is important to rely on evidence and research rather than speculation.