KCL and First order circuit theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of KCL to obtain a first-order differential equation for a circuit with a switch. The speaker presents two cases, Node A and Node B, where the equations have opposite signs due to different current directions. However, the speaker points out that the first form is correct and the second form is incorrect, as the argument for e should be negative. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the voltage across the capacitor and the current through the resistor, and the correct equations for Node A and B are provided.
raddian
My question applies to the case when the switch opens. By applying KCL in order to get a first order diff equation, the following problem arises when I choose different current directions (which shouldn't happen because KCL says the current direction doesn't matter because it will be fixed after all is said and done.

So the first one (NODE A) has

v/(RC) + dv/dt = 0 whose solution is $$Ke^{^{\frac{-t}{RC}}}$$

while the next case (NODE B) has
v/(RC) - dv/dt = 0 whose solution is $$Ke^{^{\frac{t}{RC}}}$$

I know the correct form is the first one, with a -t for the argument but doesn't a KCL "ignore" current direction and should then produce the solution, regardless of direction?

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• physforums.pdf
    347.7 KB · Views: 221
Engineering news on Phys.org
raddian said:
Am I missing something?
Yes. When you have only a capacitor and a resistor in the circuit, the capacitor voltage drives a current through the resistor. This current reduces the capacitor charge.

r I understand your point. Because the form tells me I have a decaying voltage, I need to have a negative argument to e. I need to apologize for not making my question very clear. I know the first form is correct (Node A) but is the second form equally valid but incorrect? And because they are equally valid, the only reason to choose the method of Node A vs. the method of Node b is because the argument of e should be negative?

Your current arrows are correct in Node B (and wrong in node A). Your equations are shaky.

Consider: With no external source, the current through R is sourced by the voltage across the capacitor. So in a time interval Δt, the current I removes a charge Q = I⋅Δt from the capacitor. Combine that with I = V/R and Q=C⋅V.

Can you please explain what are the correct equations for node A and B?

raddian said:
Can you please explain what are the correct equations for node A and B?
I thought I spelled it out quite clearly (and if I just show you the formula, a moderator may delete it). That aside:
[tex] I=\frac{V}{R}=-\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] since current leaving the capacitor reduces the charge in the capacitor. Now insert the capacitor formula (Q=C⋅V): [tex]I=\frac{V}{R}=-\frac{dQ}{dt}=-C\frac{dV}{dt} [/tex] and you have your equation for V.

1. What is KCL and how does it relate to circuit theory?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) is a fundamental law in circuit theory that states that the total current entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must be equal to the total current leaving that node. It is based on the principle of conservation of charge and serves as a basis for analyzing complex circuits.

2. What is a first order circuit and how is it different from higher order circuits?

A first order circuit is a type of circuit that contains only one energy storage element, such as a capacitor or inductor. It is characterized by having only one independent energy storage variable. Higher order circuits, on the other hand, have multiple energy storage elements and independent variables.

3. How do you analyze a first order circuit using circuit theory?

To analyze a first order circuit, you can use the principles of KCL and KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to write out a system of equations. These equations can then be solved using differential equations or Laplace transforms, depending on the specific circuit and its components.

4. What are some common applications of first order circuit theory?

First order circuits are commonly used in electronic devices and systems, such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in power systems, control systems, and telecommunications systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of KCL and first order circuit theory?

To improve your understanding of KCL and first order circuit theory, you can practice solving problems and analyzing circuits. It can also be helpful to study the underlying principles and concepts, as well as to seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.