1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ke/pe Vehicle Help

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    Ke/pe Vehicle Help!!!

we have to construct a vehicle for physics class that can travel the greatest distance possible. the energy must be stored "in" the vehicle as potential energy, and must have a 'rolling' aspect. we cannot use any chemical reactions or slingshot methods. it must travel atleast 5 meters.

i have absolutely no idea what to do. some people have told me something about using a folgers coffee can and putting a rod through it, but i'm still so confused. any ideas and how to construct it would save my life. and my grade!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2
    A spring would be ideal. It would store potential energy, and once released it could release all of its energy into kinetic energy. In order to reduce friction use tires with no grooves. Make the car ain such a way that air resistance can be minimized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?