Ke/pe Vehicle Help: Create 5m Distance w/o Chemicals

• Thread starter sarahchika05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the conversation revolves around constructing a vehicle for a physics class that can travel the longest distance possible using potential energy and a 'rolling' aspect. The restrictions include not using chemical reactions or slingshot methods and the vehicle must travel at least 5 meters. A suggested solution is to use a spring for potential energy and minimize friction and air resistance for better performance.
sarahchika05
Ke/pe Vehicle Help!

we have to construct a vehicle for physics class that can travel the greatest distance possible. the energy must be stored "in" the vehicle as potential energy, and must have a 'rolling' aspect. we cannot use any chemical reactions or slingshot methods. it must travel atleast 5 meters.

i have absolutely no idea what to do. some people have told me something about using a folgers coffee can and putting a rod through it, but I'm still so confused. any ideas and how to construct it would save my life. and my grade!

Physics news on Phys.org
A spring would be ideal. It would store potential energy, and once released it could release all of its energy into kinetic energy. In order to reduce friction use tires with no grooves. Make the car ain such a way that air resistance can be minimized.

I understand your struggle with this project. It can be challenging to come up with a solution that meets all the criteria while also being innovative and effective. However, there are a few principles that can guide you in designing your Ke/pe vehicle.

Firstly, potential energy is stored in an object when it is lifted or moved against a force, such as gravity. So, to create potential energy, you will need to find a way to lift or move your vehicle against a force that will store energy in it.

One idea could be to use a spring mechanism. You could attach a spring to the front of your vehicle and then release it, causing the vehicle to move forward with the stored energy from the compressed spring. This would fulfill the 'rolling' aspect of the project.

Another idea could be to use a lever system. By using a long lever arm and a fulcrum, you can lift your vehicle and store potential energy in it. Once released, the vehicle will roll forward, utilizing the stored energy.

You could also consider using a pulley system. By attaching a weight to one end of a rope and your vehicle to the other end, you can create potential energy as the weight is lifted. Once the weight is released, the vehicle will move forward.

In terms of constructing your vehicle, you could use materials such as cardboard, wood, or plastic to create the body of the vehicle. It is essential to keep the design lightweight so that it can be easily lifted or moved against a force.

I hope these ideas help guide you in designing and constructing your Ke/pe vehicle. Remember to think creatively and use the principles of potential energy to your advantage. Good luck!

Related to Ke/pe Vehicle Help: Create 5m Distance w/o Chemicals

1. What is a Ke/pe vehicle?

A Ke/pe vehicle is a type of spacecraft that uses the principles of Kepler's laws and perihelion propulsion to travel through space without the use of traditional chemical engines.

2. How does a Ke/pe vehicle create 5m distance without chemicals?

A Ke/pe vehicle uses the concept of perihelion propulsion, which involves flying close to the sun and using its gravitational pull to accelerate the spacecraft. By adjusting the spacecraft's trajectory and timing, it can achieve a 5m distance without the need for chemical propellants.

3. What are the advantages of using a Ke/pe vehicle?

Ke/pe vehicles have several advantages over traditional chemical rockets, including higher speeds, lower costs, and less impact on the environment. They also have the potential for longer missions and can explore areas of space that were previously inaccessible.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Ke/pe vehicle?

One limitation of Ke/pe vehicles is that they require precise calculations and timing to achieve the desired distances and speeds. They also rely on the gravitational pull of the sun, so they are limited to missions that involve flying close to the sun.

5. How is the Ke/pe vehicle technology being used currently?

The Ke/pe vehicle technology is still in its early stages, but it has been used in several successful missions, including the Parker Solar Probe by NASA. It is also being researched and developed for potential future missions to explore the outer reaches of our solar system and beyond.