Are the kernel and image the same for a matrix and its reduced row echelon form?

So, really, the nullspace is the same, even if the matrices are different.I think that your statement is correct, but perhaps a little confusing for someone reading it for the first time.Of course, it is true that the rref of a matrix will contain the same information as the matrix itself, and so in that sense the nullspace will be the same. However, the nullspace is defined as the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector under T. If we are talking about the nullspace of the matrix, then we are talking about the nullspace of the linear transformation represented by the matrix. And the nullspace of the rref of a matrix will not be the same as the nullspace
johndoe3344
Consider a matrix A, and let B = rref(A).

Is ker(A) necesarily equal to ker(B), and is im(A) necessarily equal to im(B)?

I want to say that the answer to both questions are yes because A and B are the same matrix, i.e. there are a finite number of elementary operations that can change A to B, and vice versa. Therefore, if they are the same matrices, then they necessarily will have the same kernel and image as each other.

Is my reasoning correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope; they aren't the same matrix: they differ by the application of elementary operations.

On the other hand, you do know that there exists an invertible matrix E such that B = EA...

So, I thought about it, and I decided that the two images will NOT be equal, but the two kernels will be equal.

Reasoning: The image of a matrix is the span of its column vectors. Therefore, since the two matrices are not equal, then their column vectors, and consequently their image will not necessarily be equal.

And I'm not really sure why the two kernels are equal, I just thought that intuitively it should be. Am I right on both counts? Thanks.

No. Different sets of vectors can span the same vector space without being equal.

Anyway, why are we told in elementary linear algebra we are "allowed" to do elementary row operations. Answering that should answer your questions.

johndoe3344 said:
Consider a matrix A, and let B = rref(A).

Is ker(A) necesarily equal to ker(B), and is im(A) necessarily equal to im(B)?

I want to say that the answer to both questions are yes because A and B are the same matrix, i.e. there are a finite number of elementary operations that can change A to B, and vice versa. Therefore, if they are the same matrices, then they necessarily will have the same kernel and image as each other.

Is my reasoning correct?

EA=B, where E represents a sequence of elementary rows operations.

Elementary row operations leave the row space and the null space of A unchanged.
But they don't preserve the column space of A.
These results should answer your questions.
Also, you might try to verify them, in general.

You mentioned A and B being the "same".
Well, I think it'll depend on what you mean by "same".

At the risk of introducting some confusion, here's one way to look at it. There are several important equivalence relations on matrices.
In your example A and B are "left associate" (thanks to E.Nering for the name).
The name is nonstandard (but that's really irrelevant).
What's important is that it's an equivalence relation. (Verification is not difficult.)
So from this point of view, I suppose you could say that A and B are the "same" (they are members of
the "same" equivalence class under the equivalence relation, left associate).

Last edited:
fopc said:
EA=B, where E represents a sequence of elementary rows operations.

Elementary row operations leave the row space and the null space of A unchanged.
But they don't preserve the column space of A.
These results should answer your questions.
Also, you might try to verify them, in general.

The difference between a matrix and it's rref is a sequence of elementary row operations. And since that leaves the null space unchanged, then the kernels of the two matrices are the same. But because they don't preserve the column space of A, then the images of A and B are not necessarily the same. These are the results I arrived at in post 3 - but someone said they are wrong -- why?

I simply meant that your reasoning about the column space was wrong, or at least wrongly stated.

"These are the results I arrived at in post 3"

OK. I took a look at post 3.
To be honest, I didn't see too much there.

As I said before, it might be a good idea to verify the two critical statements (i.e., the null space remains unchanged, the column space does not).

In order to convince yourself about the null space claim, you might ask yourself, why are we doing elimination in the first place? Well, if I had to answer the question, I'd think I'd say it's because we're trying to simplify a system of linear equations *without changing any of the solutions*.
So the system Ax=0 is reduced to say Ux=0, *and this process is reversible*.
Therefore the null space of A must be the same as the null space of U.

Thanks a lot for your replies fopc and DeadWolfe. I think I may have come across as a little rude in post 6, but that wasn't my intention - I was just wondering.

I'll go ahead and attempt to verify the statements about column space and null space. Thanks again.

I take it that by kernel and image, you mean nullspace and columnspace?

If so, then the kernel is the same for both matrices, but the image is not.

The nullspace is orthogonal to the rowspace of the matrix. When you perform the rref operation, the resulting matrix still has the same rowspace as the old one, because all you did was add up combinations of rows. So whatever nullspace rref(A) has, A has that same nullspace.

The same does not hold true for the columnspace. Find the reduced row echelon form does not preserve the columnspace as was mentioned above.

Actually, getting the rref of a matrix a method by which a basis for the nullspace, or kernel, can be found, if I remember correctly.

Related to Are the kernel and image the same for a matrix and its reduced row echelon form?

1. What is a kernel in matrix?

A kernel in matrix is a small matrix that is used to perform operations on a larger matrix. It is typically a 3x3 or 5x5 matrix that is used for tasks like blurring, sharpening, or edge detection.

2. What is the purpose of using a kernel in matrix operations?

The purpose of using a kernel in matrix operations is to apply a specific mathematical operation to each pixel in a larger matrix. This allows for more complex and precise image processing techniques to be applied, such as blurring, sharpening, or edge detection.

3. What is an image matrix?

An image matrix is a mathematical representation of an image. It is a grid of pixels, with each pixel containing numerical values representing the color and intensity of that specific pixel in the image.

4. How are kernels and images used together?

Kernels and images are used together in a process called convolution. The kernel is applied to each pixel in the image matrix, and the resulting values are used to create a new, processed image matrix.

5. Are there different types of kernels for different image processing tasks?

Yes, there are different types of kernels for different image processing tasks. Some common types include Gaussian kernels for blurring, Sobel kernels for edge detection, and Laplacian kernels for sharpening.