Kinematics - Find static friction coefficient of a coffee cup

In summary, for problem 1, the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the dash is 0.324. For problem 2, the friction force impeding the motion of the box is 101 N and the coefficient of friction is 0.719.
Elvis
Hi !

Can anyone help me I need help ...

Problem :
1- A coffee cup on the dashboard of a car slides forward on the dash when the driver decelerates from 40 km/h to rest in 3.5 s or less, but not if he decelerates in a longer time. What is the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the dash ?
2- An 18-kg box is released on a 37*(grade) incline and accelerates down the incline at 0.270 m/s(square). Find the friction force impeding its motion. How large is the coefficient of friction

Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried?

Problem 1:
I now that :

F = F
uN = ma
umg = ma
ug = a
u(9.8) = (40km/h * 1h/3600s * 1000m/km)/3.5s
u = 0.324

Is this correct ?

Can anyone help me for the problem 2 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Problem 2
I have solved these problem ::::::The weight of the box is (18 kg)(9.80 N/kg) = 176.4 N
The component of the weight parallel to the plane is
(176.4 N)sin(37.0o) = 106.16 N

The component of the weight perpendicular to the plane is
(176.4 N)cos(37.0o) = 140.88 N
So now our expression of Newton's second law has the parallel component of gravity of 106.16 N down (-) the plane, and assuming it is moving down the plane as well as accelerating down the plane, the force of friction F is acting up (+) the plane, and the acceleration is .270 m/s/s down (-) the plane, so:
<F - 106.16 N> = (18.0 kg)(-.270 m/s/s)
F = 101.3 N = 101 N, and the coefficient of friction is given by
Ffr = mkFn
The Normal force in this case is the perpendicular component of gravity 140.88 N, so we have:
Ffr = mkFn
101.3 N = mk(140.88 N)
So mk = .719

There you go!You're done!

FAQ: Kinematics - Find static friction coefficient of a coffee cup

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why do we need to find the static friction coefficient of a coffee cup?

Knowing the static friction coefficient of a coffee cup allows us to understand the amount of force needed to keep the cup from sliding on a surface. This information is helpful in determining how to prevent the cup from spilling or falling over.

3. How do we calculate the static friction coefficient?

The static friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force that can be applied to an object before it starts sliding by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

4. What factors affect the static friction coefficient of a coffee cup?

The static friction coefficient can be affected by the composition and texture of the surface the cup is resting on, as well as the weight and shape of the cup itself. Other factors such as temperature and humidity may also play a role.

5. Can the static friction coefficient of a coffee cup change?

Yes, the static friction coefficient can change depending on the factors mentioned in question 4. Additionally, it may change if the cup is placed on a different surface or if the surface is altered in some way (e.g. becoming wet or oily).